New m.2 ssd not recognised in Device Manager for Aspire R13

lbkitko
lbkitko Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hello,

I bought and added a new adata 480G m.2 ssd to the spare slot (to be used only as extra storage) for my R13 . After restarting, device manager didn't see it, only the kingston ssd is present. I tried to boot up to boot menu by pressing Fn+F2 without success. Does it mean the adata m.2 is faulty? Also how to boot up to boot menu? I tried Fn+F10 also. Thanks for any kind assistance.

Kit

Best Answer

• scrambler
    scrambler Member Posts: 127 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Go into the BIOS and check if there is an option to enable / disable the m2 sata port

Also make sure the porst is set for AHCI not RAID

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

Hi,

Could you be able to see in Disk managemet? If you can, allocate a drive letter and see whether it shows up in Device manager.

• lbkitko
    Thanks. The new ssd is not detected and not shown in Disk management, nor is it detected in the device manager.
  • scrambler
    Answer ✓

Go into the BIOS and check if there is an option to enable / disable the m2 sata port

Also make sure the porst is set for AHCI not RAID

• lbkitko
    Hi Scrambler, I could not go into bios by pressing Fn + F2 at the same time, I tried Fn+F10, doesn't work either
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

lbkitko wrote:
    Hi Scrambler, I could not go into bios by pressing Fn + F2 at the same time, I tried Fn+F10, doesn't work either

Hi,

You don't need to press Fn, you have to press F2 button only before the screen shows the "acer"(green letters) to access BIOS.

• lbkitko
    Thanks, finally managed to get into bios. changed sata to AHCI, it was set as RAID. (strange, my R3 model only has one kingston ssd). Anyway, saved and reboot, can't boot to windows, got message there is a problem, so i got into bios and revert back to RAID, and then I saw the adata recognition. So keep the RAID selection and reboot. Now boot back to windows and under disk management is the new adata ssd. Not sure why it was not recognised in the first place. Thanks for the tips.
  • scrambler

It is strange that it is set to RAID as there is not actual RAID benefit with a single drive (that I know of).

It is even stranger that if you set it to AHCI it would not boot, as this should normally be the setting for a single drive.

But glad you got it working in the process Smiley Happy

• lbkitko
    thanks, scambler, for the tip in the first place!
  • Vofking
    Vofking Member Posts: 5 New User
    Guys, how to switch from Raid to AHCI in Bios (r7-372t laptop)? It said RAID in Sata Mode on first page, but no option to turn it off.