My Aspire R3-471T will not power up without an external monitor.

mholzer54
mholzer54 Member Posts: 3 New User

It runs just super with an HDMI connected monitor.  But when I remove the HDMI plug, it will not power on.  Does anyone have any ideas?  It is a very nice laptop and it is a shame to have to retire it.

Thanks,

Marc

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,017 Trailblazer

Hello,

Stupid question:

Have you press [Fn]+[F5] again when it is connected to the external monitor?

France
  • mholzer54

First off, thank you for the insult.

It was not the display but the user hooked up the wrong power supply without enough current to charge the laptop.

• laurent_14

You misunderstood. The stupid question is for me and not for you. It's a French expression but may be not the same sense in  English. That would mean: May be you have forgotten to press this hotkey again. That's all. It's really not an insult.

France
  • mholzer54

Excellent!  Thanks.  Here is a stupid question though...  How do I show this as solved?

• Kathy-1
    Kathy-1 Member Posts: 167 Die Hard WiFi Icon

mholzer54 wrote:

Excellent!  Thanks.  Here is a stupid question though...  How do I show this as solved?

Hi mholzer54,

To mark the thread solved, all you need to do is pick one of the posts as the Accepted Solution.  Whichever post you feel best answered the question/solved the problem - Just look for the "Accept as Solution" link right under the reply button (you can even pick more than one post/solution). 

Hope that helps!  (PS: I don't think there is any such thing as stupid questions as we all have to learn stuff somehow Smiley Happy )

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Will admit that this is a new one on me - a power supply that can run the system but is not enough to power the display. Probably the only way to discover is a physical examination of the power supply.

Also is the same in English "Stupid Question" is one that is so basic that it could be considered insulting must be asked (e.g. "are you sure the power supply is plugged into a live socket.) as part of proper troubleshooting.

Just repaired a ceiling fan for a friend. Said had failed after a bad rainstorm. Power checked out everywhere but when I pulled the wall switch, it just fell out, no connection to the wires. Unit was a battery operated RF system and the battery was dead. Never say never.

Even so it is unlikely that an online forum would consider that the power supply might be the wrong one.

• laurent_14

Thanks for your moral support Kathy and Padgett! Smiley Happy

France