Linux on SP513-51

barack_obama
barack_obama Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Is there anyone who knows about the compatiblity of SP513-51 with Linux? The reason I ask is that I tried to install Ubuntu 16 and Linux Mint 18 (64bit), but it never boots from SSD, although it boots from LiveUSB.

Installation program always shows the message 'Installation was completed', but the system never boots after restarting the computer.

I have tried many differenct configurations, such as disablng fast boot and secure boot, as well as updating BIOS, but always failed to boot. I also tried both dual boot and single boot (erased windows), but never booted.

Answers

• jhunter2564
    jhunter2564 Member Posts: 1 New User
    This post has been up for awhile but in case this is useful, you can install and run linux on this laptop. I have run several distros over the years. Mainly if you have not setup a bios password it is required in order to be able to set boot options. It looks like you were able to get this to boot from usb. Once you have run through the install you will most likely have to go inot the bios and select the efi key. In this case it will probably say ubuntu, go and look for the grubx64 key and select it and name it, then save the settings. On reboot hold f2 to get to the bios again and go to the boot section and move the key up to the first bootable and save. Depending on the distro, you have to disable secure boot. 
  • barack_obama
    barack_obama Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the comment. I don't know if I have enough time for a while, but I will try to find a spare time and review what I've done before. I think I need to refresh my memory...