Fail to modify BCD

Witchdoc59
Witchdoc59 Member Posts: 6 New User

A friend brought me her Acer Aspire S3 because it was not booting.   I found the hard drive was dead. 

We purchased a new Kingston 240GB SSD and obtained the recovery media from ACER.   The computer sees the new hard drive and the recovery media seems to copy all the required files to the disk.  However right at the end a dialog pops up that says, "Fail to modify BCD" when you click the ok button on the dialog box the computer reboots and if you try to boot from the hard disk then you get a message that says; "No bootable device -- Please restart system".   Restarting the system does not have any effect.

I hope someone has a solution to this.

All and any comments greatly appreciated.

WD

Best Answer

• Witchdoc59
    Answer ✓

When you run the recovery media you are presented with 2 options.  One is to recover the OS only and the other is to recover everything.   I was choosing option 2 and it kept failing.  When I chose option 1 it seems to have worked.  The system has booted from the new drive and is now installing drivers.

WD

Answers

• Witchdoc59
    Answer ✓

When you run the recovery media you are presented with 2 options.  One is to recover the OS only and the other is to recover everything.   I was choosing option 2 and it kept failing.  When I chose option 1 it seems to have worked.  The system has booted from the new drive and is now installing drivers.

WD

• Witchdoc59

So choosing the first option was the answer.  Everything installed perfectly and the computer was back up and running in no time.

Thanks all for listening.

WD