Change RAM Memory - Spin SP531-51

marcoalmeida
marcoalmeida Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi everyone,

So I just bought a Spin SP531-51 and I've seen it is possible to use up to 16gb (I now have 4gb).

But how can I cange it? What do I need to do? And if I open my laptop, where can I find the memory? 

Thank you

Best Answer

Answers

• pipoy
    pipoy Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter

I have the same laptop.

What I didnt know that it is built it. meaning its soldered and cannot be removed.

Last friday I bought an 8gb ram for this because I thought it can be removed.

It turns out it cannot be removed. Now I am running a 12gb unmatched ram.

Which im not sure if unmatched is going to be a problem

So right now, it is impossible to get it to 16gb. You will have 20gb if you buy a new 16gb

• marcoalmeida

Sorry, I don't understand what you meant... You're saying you cannot change it but you can add to it? So, since I have 4gb, if I bought a 8gb I would have 12gb total? And how you do that? 

Thank you Smiley Happy

• pipoy
    pipoy Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter

what I mean is that your current ram is built in and cannot be removed.

But there is an extra RAM slot where you can add more rams.

You already have a 4 gb.

If you add a 2gb it will become 6gb

If you add 4 gb, it will become 8gb

If you add 8gb, it will become 12 gb

If you add 16gb, it will become 20gb

To do that, you gona have to open it up from the bottom and look for the RAM slot

Look at this thread to see the gut

https://community.acer.com/t5/Swift-Spin-S-and-R-Series/Does-the-Acer-Spin-3-have-a-spare-m-2-or-msata-slot-for-a-SSD/td-p/468603

• marcoalmeida

Thank you! Smiley Happy Later today will try to find the slot.

• marcoalmeida

Hi again.

I don't know if I'm looking at it or not, but i just couldn't find a plausible place to add memory or something that even resembles a memory slot. On the other side of the motherboard there's nothing. 

What am I missing?

20170724_235012.jpg2017071mb.jpg

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

marcoalmeida wrote:

Hi again.

I don't know if I'm looking at it or not, but i just couldn't find a plausible place to add memory or something that even resembles a memory slot. On the other side of the motherboard there's nothing. 

What am I missing?

20170724_235012.jpg2017071mb.jpg

Hi,

You need to open the rectangle shaped cover for RAM.

Capture3.JPG

• marcoalmeida

Thank you, it was there Smiley Happy

By the way @pipoy I've opened where @brummyfan2 told me to and there was a slot in there, but it was already occupied with a 4gb ram, so I can't add to it, need to replace it completely with the ammount I want (8 or 16). 

Thanks to both of you Smiley Happy

• brummyfan2

marcoalmeida wrote:

Thank you, it was there Smiley Happy

By the way @pipoy I've opened where @brummyfan2 told me to and there was a slot in there, but it was already occupied with a 4gb ram, so I can't add to it, need to replace it completely with the ammount I want (8 or 16). 

Thanks to both of you Smiley Happy

Hi,

You don't have onboard memory in your model which I believe is SP513-51, you can upgrade up to 8GB with a single module replacing current 4GB module, upgrading to 8GB is safer than trying 16GB module as I can not confirm that it would work, it might work or not.

Part number:KN.8GB0G.037

• marcoalmeida

My laptop is this one (here), and even though it says it's compatible with 16gb, maybe I'll opt to just upgrade to 8 as you've said. I've been looking up some options and I think the price doesn't justify. 

To use with Adobe software (photoshop, illustrator, after effects), do you think it will be enough 8 or is better to go higher? 

Thank you Smiley Happy

• brummyfan2

Hi,

You are welcome, as for the Photoshop, I can not give you any advice as I have no experience with the program,sorry.