Aspire S7-392 sleep issues

Theo25
Theo25 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My S7 won't wake up from sleep, or fully shut down.  It doesn't happen all the time, but every few days it will go to sleep and both blue LED will stay on.  The only way to wake it up is to hold the power button for several seconds to power off and then reboot.  Can't be healthy.

I just upgraded to Win 10 a couple of months ago.

Drivers are current.  

Is there a known fix?

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Make sure you have latest BIOS. 

If you have Haswell-ULT, some people w/ S7-392 have found that they need to use the Windows 8.1 Intel Management Engine driver to solve the sleep/hang and shutdown/hang issue in Windows 10.   

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    Answer ✓

Make sure you have latest BIOS. 

If you have Haswell-ULT, some people w/ S7-392 have found that they need to use the Windows 8.1 Intel Management Engine driver to solve the sleep/hang and shutdown/hang issue in Windows 10.   

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• Theo25

Tinkerer

Thanks Jordan, I will try the legacy driver and see if it works.

• Theo25

Tinkerer

Jordan,

I installed the older ME driver and it worked.  Thanks for the help!

• HenkEvans
    HenkEvans Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

what does "ME driver" mean?

• Theo25

Tinkerer

Windows 8.1 Intel Management Engine driver - I installed the old ME driver and it fixed the propblem.  However, I am not sure if this creates any security risks.  Also, Windows updated mine recently and I am currently rolling back.  Would be nice if a permanent solution is created.

• JordanB

On some Acer laptops with Haswell-ULT that orginally came pre-installed with Windows 8.1, Microsoft will give you a Windows 10 driver that allows you to "uncheck the box" as described in this link.....that **apparently** solves the sleep problem on that particular model.

However, it depends on the computer model/ME driver.  Some ME drivers don't have anything to uncheck........it doesn't exist.....e.g. my computer.

It's a complicated issue and even more complicated since I have never used many of the Haswell-ULT computers that people ask about on this forum.....so you have to take my advice with that knowledge.  The best solution for a certain Haswell-ULT model, may not be the best solution for a different Haswell-ULT computer.  To complicate matters futher, it depends on the version of Windows 10 you're running.  For example,  Microsoft now gives some Acer Haswell-ULT computers a different/new Intel Management Engine driver with the Creator's update.  On my computer (Haswell-ULT), Microsoft gave me an ME driver that is a Skylake driver.....or at least typically used on Skylake mainboards.

For my Haswell-ULT, the new Windows 10 Creator's Edition ME driver 11.xx..xx didn't cause sleep hang issues with Creator's Windows 10 like it did in past versions of Windows 10 (e.g. black screen hang/fans running), but it did cause the touchpad and keyboard to freeze occasionally/frequently upon sleep or restart.  I thought about using the Windows 8.1 Intel Management Engine interface driver just like I have always done with Windows 10, but in the end, I got tired of it and went back to Windows 8.1 OS.

You might be able to find some stuff on Reddit about new fixes.  I haven't really had the time to mess with it anymore.  Windows 8.1 works great......and the computer was designed for Windows 8.1.

Keep in mind that this issue also affects HP Haswell-ULT laptops and I'm sure others as well.

Note: I don't have a Haswell-ULT S7-392 and have never used one.....so there may be better/alternate solutions out there to fix the sleep issue in Windows 10 with Haswell-ULT.  Also, keep in mind that the Broadwell-ULT version of the S7-392 is unaffected by this bug.  It's just the Haswell-ULT version.

• Theo25

Tinkerer

Thanks for the background on the issue Jordan, you seem pretty knowledgeable.  It helps to understand it.  

I looked around for a while about issues with the power management, and just using the old drivers was the only solution I could find.  If I find a permanent solution I will post it.

Thanks for your help!

• JordanB

You're welcome.  

I forgot to mention.......the Acer E5-571 model that I referred to in this link of my previous post is a unique Acer Haswell-ULT model.  The reason why it's unique is because Acer released a BIOS update for that model after Windows 10 was released that included an ME firmware update.  As far as I know, the E5-571 is the only Acer Haswell-ULT model that received aforementioned new ME firmware update.  

So basically all users of Acer Haswell-ULT models running Windows 10 are in the same boat except for users of E5-571.....which may require a different/unique workaround....i.e. "uncheck a box".

I don't expect there to be any official fix for this from Acer or Microsoft or Intel since Haswell is getting long in the tooth.....and this sleep bug is a very old bug/incompatibility dating back to August 2015.

Haswell 4th gen

Broadwell 5th gen

Skylake 6th gen

Kaby lake 7th gen

Coffee Lake 8th gen (to be released late 2017)

And lastly.....apparently they never tested S7-392 with Windows 10 Creators although I suspect the Broadwell-ULT version of the S7-392 works fine.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-creators-update