Acer aspire r5-471t laptop Display driver problems

ItsOleg
ItsOleg Member Posts: 2 New User

So I just got this new laptop and so far I love everything about it! Cat Very HappyThe only problem is that ocassionaly the display driver would crash and then restart itself successfully. This happens whenever I do browsing and light gaming. If anyone has a solution to this problem, it would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Do you have Intel HD graphics, Nvidia graphics?

Is your driver older than these?

VGAIntelVGA Driver10.18.15.4248165.5 MB2015/09/03Download
    VGANVIDIAVGA Driver10.18.13.5324649.6 MB2015/09/03Download
  • ItsOleg
    ItsOleg Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. I have Intel HD graphics on this laptop, but since it just came out in October, aren't those drivers outdated?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

These are the latest on Acer.Probably the same as you have.

Do Windows key+x and select Device Manager, Display adapter, double click the Intel HD graphics,click driver and compare the dates of the drivers.

• jwmcray
    jwmcray Member Posts: 1 New User

I purchased this laptop (Aspire R5-471t),  in October 2015 with the new MS 10 Home version. I too receive annoying error messages "Display Driver Stopped" or not responding and crashes whatever search engine I'm using: "Bing", MS Explorer, Mozilla, MS Edge, whatever.The Intel HD Graphics Driver ver. 20.19.15.4300 is claimed to be the latest version through ACER Care Center. When accessing the Intel Driver Update portal, I receive an error during the download that states that this current driver version is actually a manufacturer modified version of Microsoft 8.1 and cannot be updated through the INTEL driver portal and to go to the manufacturers site. Checking this site it says its the correct version and up to date and that no fix is available. Checking through my System it says my device is working properly and that I have the latest version. Wondering if something else within Microsoft version 10 may be a conflict.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I have 4300 also but ave been told that 4331 is available...somewhere.

• kevprointel
    kevprointel Member Posts: 5 New User

I'm having big trouble with my Acer R5-471T too. The graphics drivers are up to date just like all the other drivers. I always get display crash when browsing internet or doing office work. The other problem is my bluetooth adapter that have crashed and it won't install the driver.

Anyone have a solution?

The driver looks like they were made for Windows 8.1 and don't get updated for Windows 10...

• padgett

Is BT turned on (Settings>Devices>Bluetooth slide switch) ?

• kevprointel
    My computer doesn't recognize that my computer has a bluetooth adapter so windows have disabled the bluetooth module, in the pheripheral gestioner i have a unknown module ( that i know is the bluetooth module) when i try to install the atheros driver it install well but that doesn't resolve the problem!
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I'm evaluating the R5-471T-71W2.  Skylake i7 6500U.  Its' running perfectly.  No graphics driver issues.  No bluetooth issues.  Everything works great.

Here's my advice on what you should do:

1. Backup your important personal files.

2.  Reset computer to factory defaults/condition (Just remove my files)

3.  After you reset to factory condition, use Acer Care Center app to update your drivers (don't get your drivers from Acer downloads).  The Acer Care Center app comes pre-installed on your computer.

4.  After your drivers are updated, restart your computer.

5.  Go to Acer downloads website and update the BIOS to 1.05

6.  After you successfully update the BIOS, restart your computer.

7. After your computer restarts and Windows starts, restart your computer again.  And go in to BIOS settings (F2 at the Acer screen--you've got to be quick) and load the defaults (F9) and then save exit (F10).  It might take you several attempts of hitting F2 before you get in to BIOS as the window of opportunity is brief when you see the Acer screen--not a big deal.

Important note:  Although I have experimented with different graphics drivers, I haven't touched the graphics driver since I followed the procedure above.  The current Intel 520 Graphics driver that is installed is 20.19.15.4300.   This is a Windows 10 driver.  It may take up to 72 hours for all of your drivers and Windows updates to update through Windows update..........could a woodchuck chuck.. Smiley Wink

Other note:  I rolled back to the July 29th version of Windows 10 first.  And then I reset to factory defaults.  Then I updated to the November Windows 10 TH2 through Windows update.  I doubt if that's relevant to your issues, but just wanted to make sure you knew how I got from A to B.

If you have questions, just ask.  Smiley Happy

And of course you always have the option to get your original Acer software to put your computer in factory condition....from the Acer store.....if you didn't create a factory default recovery drive.  I'm not complete sure if creatinig a factory default recovery drive now will give you orginal factory windows 10 or if it will give you November Windows 10.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDU1MzI3NjQwL3NpZC9CZzhEYVhJbQ%3D%3D

Edit:  Some R5-471T come with QualcommAtheros wifi/bluetooth module and some come with Intel wifi/bluetooth module.  I have the Atheros wifi/bluetooth module.  You can check Device Manager to see what you have.

To check your BIOS version:

1. Right click on Windows Start button

2. Left click on Run

3. Type msinfo32

4. Click ok

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett

I'd update to the 1511/10586 27/Jan/16 build of Win 10 first. It solved a lot of driver problems.

The R14 here is running Intel 20.19.15.4300 without any problems.

My BT shows a number of drives, mostly Microsoft but the Bluetooth USB module is Qualcomm/Atheros 10.0.0.137 dated 8/21/2015.

I'd suggest going to Settings>Network & Internet>Airplane mode and check that Bluetooth is turned on. If turned off, it won't appear in the tray.

• kevprointel

I have bought my acer r5 in december and from the fisrt time i used it it has always crashed. The only program i run on this computer is microsoft office 365, the edge browser (i installed mozilla to see if the crashing issued would come from the edge browser but it still crashed) and adobe acrobat DC updated. So if you really sugget me to do a rollback action i'll do it but i don't think that it will solve my issue.

For the specs i have a i5-6200u with 8Gig of ram with a liteon SSD 256Gig. I also have the Qualcom atheros wireless/bluetooth adapter. I saw that there is a specific driver on the support section for atheros Liteon NFA344A that i am thinking is the most suitable for my specific model. I also tryed removing/installing all the other drivers which works all with the wireless adapter but not with the bluetooth.

As for the intel 520 graphics i have the latest driver possibleCapture1.PNG

• JordanB

I never said a rollback would solve your problem.  I simply gave you the procedure that I personally followed to get to a known factory condition starting point......in full disclosure.

The main points of my post were:

1. Reset computer to factory condition

2. Use the pre-installed Acer Care Center app on your computer to update your drivers

3. Go to Acer Downloads to update BIOS to 1.05

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

4.  Load your BIOS defaults.

Good luck.

• padgett

About the only thing left is to save and clear out the Event Viewer (control panel>administrative tools>event viewer ). Run to a crash, note the exact time, then scan everything and see what errors occured. This does take a while but I suspect something else is walking on the video driver & sometimes Event Viewer will point you to what.

• JordanB

You can waste hours troubleshooting if you want.  That's entirely up to you.  I turned on the TV to watch a college basketball game and backed up my files, followed those 4 steps in my previous post and re-installed all my programs before the game was even over.  I did everthng during commercials and halftime.  Didnt miss any of the game.  But i keep my files backed up on a regular basis so it wasn't any big deal.  And as a bonus.....my team won.  Smiley Wink

• JordanB

Ok. I tested with Edge browser and with both Word and Excel open and minimized.  Edge was laggy and even froze a couple times.  After about an hour, it did finally crash the graphics driver with " display driver has stopped responding and has recovered".  You were right.  I haven't used Edge in a couple weeks, but I have had office 365 installed since day 1.

Try chrome.  I normally use Chrome..

• JordanB

If you uninstall/delete the graphics driver 4330, Windows driver service will give you 4331.

(You must also tick the box to delete the software).  Windows will automatically download and install the 4331 driver.

I tested 4331 previously and it resolved another issue with Edge browser....but I hadn't previously experienced the driver stop responding.

4331.PNG

• JordanB

This is how you delete/uninstall your graphics driver:

unindeledt.PNG

• JordanB

if you still have trouble with 4331, you can try a newer driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25620/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-6th-Gen-

• kevprointel

Thank you JordanB , i uninstall the driver just like you did and for now it appears to solve the problem! I am browsing edge for hours with word opened and few pdf and i didn't get any crash!

So this version of driver seem to be stable with the latest version of Windows 10.

Capture.PNG

• JordanB

Ok sounds good.  I went ahead and installed the 4352 graphics driver.  I tested 4331 today with Edge, Word, and Excel....but it crashed after 10 minutes.  So far, 4352 is working fine with Edge,Word, and Excel.

But honestly, I don't normally use Edge.  I use Google Chrome browser.  I don't have any problems with Chrome on any of the drivers.

I didn't have to do anything special to get 4352.  I just downloaded the 64 bit zip file from Intel website, extracted it, and then manually updated it (I told Windows to look in the "Graphics" folder).  But if 4331 is working fine for you, then you can just stay with it.

So far, Windows driver service has allowed me to keep 4352 and has not tried to override it.

4352drv.PNG

Edit: If you decide you want to try 4352, but don't know how to manually update.......just ask.  Smiley Happy