Acer R3 series N15W5 laptop will not power on.

Timbone
Timbone Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

My son has had this laptop for about a year. He got it and within a couple of weeks it stopped working. I am the resident computer guy, so he asked me to look at it. I figured it was just needing to be reset, but was busy at the time. I completely forgot about it, until we were going through some stuff in his room and I saw it on his dresser. He reminded me that he asked about it a year ago. Anyway, I tried to turn it on, and it would do nothing. After plugging it in, it does not even show a light showing it is charging. It does not seem to have a removeable battery and I did not want to start by taking it apart. What should I do next?

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

You could try a battery reset, leave the laptop to rest for a while after the completion of reset, if that doesn't help, you could try removing the CMOS battery(unplug it from MB and plug it back), make sure that AC adapter is not faulty as well.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I'd check the adapter first. Good news is that many Acer devices use that same 19v power adapter and barrel plug (some wall wart, some seperate).

Second something dumb: tighten all of the screws on the back cover. There is a microswitch under one of the center screws AFAIR and if loose the R3 will be unresponsive.

• Timbone

I have tried the battery reset you described. This did not seem to effect the condition of the computer at all. I watched a tutorial (Gasp!) of the removal of the rear cover as well as how to remove the battery. I have established the adaptor charges my other devices without a problem. I will comment on the result of the manual removal of the battery and its effects as soon as I can get back to it. 

Thank you for your speedy response.

• Timbone

After review of the other recommendation for a possible solution I saw I had missed the tighten the screw comment. I will try this and post what, if any of these, solved the problem

• Timbone

removed the rear cover and unhooked the battery. This solved the problem. It works perfectly now for the first time since right after we purchased it. Thank you for you help.

• Jprin152
    Jprin152 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello. I'm having the same issue, but tightening the screws didn't help. I also took off the under and tested the voltages. The AC adapter is at 18.97v and the batter puts out 11.75v with the microswitch pressed. I am thinking that the battery is damaged or something because it's not putting out 15v, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. I've also tried every reset I could and even unplugged and plugged back in the CR2032 battery. Any ideas?