missing software from recovery partition

jacks657
jacks657 Member Posts: 8 New User

i have an aspire 2920 which i got secondhand problem i s that the recovery partition is empty any info on what i have to do to or can do to get it back to normal ie: as if its come out factory....

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi jacks657

You could contact Acer support for your region, to see if there are recovery disks still available for your laptop. They will contain the correct Windows edition and all drivers for your model.

If the disks are not available, the only thing to do, is to buy a copy of Windows, ideally the same that was originally installed, as that would save problems with drivers etc, although an upgrade may be possible.

If you go down that route, you will also need to download the drivers & applications for your model. Once you've reloaded Windows, install them so that your laptop will function correctly.

• jacks657

i do have a vista ultimate 32bit disk which is installed on my aspire 2920  but could you advise me how to install into the recovery partition which is drive D as when i try to install to that drive it only wants to install to drive C hope this makes sense.... lol and thanks for your reply.

• finlux
    Hi jacks657

The C: partition is the one where Windows will automatically install to. The bad news is, you cannot replace the recovery partition. Once it's gone, it's gone!
  • jacks657

the recovery partition is still there marked as D drive but its empty is it possible to install vista to that D drive??? Or is that what u mean once its empty thats it it cannot be used again to install a copy of windows vista to it

• finlux

Yes, basically!

When the data on the Recovery Partition is gone, there is no real way of putting it back!

When installing Windows, it defaults to the C: partition, but you can install Windows to nearly any available partition on the drive, but it's best to keep it on C:

Hope this helps!

• jacks657

1 last thing can i delete this recovery partition then and if i can will the free space be added to my C: partition....... And thanks for all your help your information was spot on and i even understood lol ( tell im a newbie )

• finlux

Yes you can, there is a step by step guide here on how to do just that!

• jacks657

Thank you so much finlux your information has been spot on job done this end appreciate all you have done for me thanks again.....Smiley Wink

• finlux

You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.