Wish to remove Windows 8 and install Windows 7 - help please?

slingading
slingading Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have just bought a new Aspire V3-571G and really really hate Windows 8. Fortunately I own a retail version of Windows 7 and wish to install this on the laptop. Can anyone advise me how to do this / what I will need please?

thanks.

Answers

• ThV5k
    ThV5k Member Posts: 327

Tinkerer

Hello,

It will be best to google your request since the manufacturer only supports the OS that came installed on the unit as bought.  Don't know if Microsoft might offer assistance for your request to go to Windows 7 on a unit with W8...worth checking I guess. 

Good luck.

• slingading
    slingading Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks for the reply, I was really hoping that someone else had been in the same predicament and done this already. I'm sure there will be  a few out there as Windows 8 is terrible!

• mrdolby
    mrdolby Member Posts: 26

Tinkerer

Providing you have a key then the rule i follow is

if it takes Vista it will take W7

if its W8 then it will do W7

if your really not sure then go and buy a 40GB SATA 2.5 laptop hard drive, they are cheap enough.

stick this in the laptop, boot from the W7 disk and run the install, dont enter the license key

if it works and your happy then replace the HDD with the original and just run the install.

Keep the drive they come in handy as backup devices

• hmathur
    hmathur Member Posts: 2 New User

Partition your HD. Make it dual boot. This way you can keep Win-8 on one partition and install Win-7 on the other. 

• ThV5k
    ThV5k Member Posts: 327

Tinkerer

Hello,

Just got to read this site that would assist in responding to your question:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29401/kw/mail%20in%20Windows%208

Good day

• PaulJ
    PaulJ Member Posts: 1 New User

Best way I've found is to format the hard drive and start fresh. The usual problem is reinstalling the appropriate missing drivers for your model of computer after windows in installed. A commercial driver program can usually find the missing drivers and reinstall them. WiFi driver seems a little difficult at times. PJ

• Please search the forums for 'downgrade' etc. There are plenty of posts here that cover the process very well.
    There are a number of 'gotchas' so read all you can before you attempt the install.
    You cannot simply 'install' Win7 - you need to make some BIOS changes first! (That does not mean 'change your BIOS'!!)

Some essentials are:

1. Do *not* replace your BIOS!!

2. Disable 'secure boot'.

3. Change from 'UEFI' to 'Legacy'.

Finally, all Win7 drivers are available for you model from Acer's download site.

• AlanH
    AlanH Member Posts: 27 New User

You might want to simply install a program like Classic Shell to make the computer look and feel more like Windows 7 . . . and also install the desktop versions of PDF Reader, Skype, etc. so you don't unexpectedly encounter any  "Modern" apps when you open files. 

You might also find that the upgrade to Windows 8.1 will go a long way toward making your experience better.  I was a big time Windows 8 hater at first.  The interface improvements in 8.1 combined with the operating improvements under the hood have won me over.  I even uninstalled Classic Shell in favor of the regular 8.1 interface.  If this crusty old man can make the transition, anybody can.

• gaurisankar_nat
    gaurisankar_nat Member Posts: 1 New User

Originally the PC was of Windows 7 Operating System. Windows 8 was installed by a vendor about two years back and the PC is malfunctioning involvong dysfunction of USB Ports. It is desired to re-install windows 7 once again. Solicit your help.

• jokicha
    jokicha Member Posts: 9 New User

Assuming you have Windows 7 on a disc.

Back up your data you wish to back up.

Look up your drivers for your computer for windows 7 (make sure you know what 32bit and 64bit is, if your laptop is fairly new, like after 2012 new, most likely its 64bit)

Download all drivers that youll need and put it on a usb stick or burn it on a disk

1. insert windows 7 cd

2. restart your computer

3. hold either f8 or f12 when your computer is restarting to enter boot options menu

- 3.5 (depending on your computer, it may boot from disc on its own)

4. select cd/dvd drive as number 1 boot option

5. windows should start loading from disc, follow on screen installation instructions (simple)

6. choose disk drive to install windows onto (make sure to 'format' it -it will be in the installation menu)

7. bam! installed