Wish to re-instal Windows 7 - no original disc!

jcyeandle
jcyeandle Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello, I've recently purchased a previously owned Veriton L670G for our family PC.

It seems to be a very nice and compact unit.

I wish to do a clean install of the Win 7 Professional on a new hard drive but have no installation discs.

The base of the unit has what appears to be an original and undamaged ACER COA for Win 7 Pro but I'm having problems purchasing from ACER the requisite media.

After several online 'support chats' with ACER, I paid approximately 51GBP and received a CD containing only FreeDOS.

Clearly there is something that I am either doing wrong or I'm providing the wrong data.  I have provided the BIOS serial number, info from the Veriton case labels and photo's of the ACER-Microsoft COA.

The Microsoft web site will not help as they say it is the responsibility of ACER as the OEM.  Presumably Microsoft recognise the COA serial number as having come from ACER.  The COA label has ACER clearly on it.

ACER support chat tell me that the machine was originally shipped with FreeDOS but the case label is clearly for Win 7.

No one from ACER has yet claimed that my case COA is not legitimate so I'm at a loss as to how I can provide myself with a legitimate re-install system.

Is it possible to create the full re-install media from my currently running Win 7 OS?  I don't see a way to do this short of taking a ghost copy of thesystem partition.

Any helpful suggestions (short of purchasing a retail copy of an OS) are very welcome.

Thanks in anticipation,

Jonathan

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

jcyeandle wrote:

Hmm, not got this down pat yet as I've tagged Cory's help on PM as a solution to my original problem - sorry.  Still, I can now do a PM.

No worries, I cleared the solution as to not confuse other people.

Unfortunately, I found the same information support found which is that the system information you provided (1st 10 digits of the SN are the Finished Good Part Number) PS.V70E9.009 - Veriton L670G shipped from our factory with FreeDOS and no other operating systems. This is why they sent you the FreeDOS media. I don't know how or why there is a Windows 7 Pro sticker on the device, that is something that support would be the best to answer unless it came from a 3rd party.

Cory

Answers

• Cory-Acer

Hi Johnathon,

Here is an article with steps on how to create and use media you can create yourself. There are some assumptions of course that the original HDD load is still in tact. http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934

Feel free to PM me your Serial Number and I'll doublecheck and see what information I have available.

Cory

• jcyeandle

Hello Cory,

Thank you for your offer of help.  It is appreciated.

I have no PM experience or knowledge so will pop off and look for the info.  If succesful I'll send serial numbers.

The HD looks to have been wiped and re-installed in the past so no obvious evidence of an easy fix.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

• Cory-Acer

You an click my name and on my profile page there is an option to "send this user a private message" on the right side of the page.

• jcyeandle

Hmm, not got this down pat yet as I've tagged Cory's help on PM as a solution to my original problem - sorry.  Still, I can now do a PM.

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓

jcyeandle wrote:

No worries, I cleared the solution as to not confuse other people.

Unfortunately, I found the same information support found which is that the system information you provided (1st 10 digits of the SN are the Finished Good Part Number) PS.V70E9.009 - Veriton L670G shipped from our factory with FreeDOS and no other operating systems. This is why they sent you the FreeDOS media. I don't know how or why there is a Windows 7 Pro sticker on the device, that is something that support would be the best to answer unless it came from a 3rd party.

Cory

• jcyeandle

Hello Cory,

I presume the inference is that the COA sticker on the case is not entitled to be there and that the previous discussions with ACER support were too polite or imprecise to avoid my expense for the FreeDOS even though I made it clear that I was discussing the re-install of Windows 7:-(

The Sticker to my eyes still looks to be genuine and shows no damage or signs which typical of transferral and I'm still inclined to believe it legitimate - at least until proved otherwise.

I would like to think that my unfortunate experience could at least prevent future niave mistakes but I don't see how, short of there being no market for pre-owned hardware.

Please accept my thanks and appreciation for your efforts on my behalf.  I'm off for a beer to cry into whilst pondering what next!

Kind regards,

Jonathan