Please Help! ...Overheating Aspire v3-551-8883 Laptop?

Dan76
Dan76 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi, last christmas I bought my mentally handicapped sister an Aspire v3-551-8883 laptop. She loves it and it helps her stay connected with people and cope. She called me last week because she was having problems with it. I'm far from a tech wizard but i can usually work my way through computer issues without too much trouble.

The computer seemed to be...

1) bogged down with malware or a virus

2) overheating and shutting down

It wasn't easy with it overheating and powering down but I managed to clear the hard drive and do a fresh install of windows 8 (which it came installed with). I believe that would have eliminated most malware and viruses.

Originally, I thought the overheating might be due to the malware or virus, but even after I reformatted it keeps powering down after about 15-20 minutes.

I saw several videos and posts on fans problems and I think it's probably the fan. I can see the fan spin when the computer is on but it nevers seems to go fast enough to cool the machine (and the "air output" area doesn't even move tissue paper when it's placed infront of it).

Speedfan won't recognize the fan so that program doesn't help.

The laptop is less than 1 year old - could it still be under warranty? (I didn't buy an extended one though)

I don't mean to make this a sob story but my sister was in tears when I told her I wasn't able to fixed her computer yet.

Can someone please offer me some advice or assistance?

Thanks

Best Answer

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

Sorry that your sister is not able to use the computer, but as you said the unit was purchased last christmas, mostly the unit will be under warranty as the units would be shipped with a min of an year of Manufaturers warranty, so better to contact acer support & may the warranty may not support accidental damages or any things as such, contct acer, they should help you,. Cheers

Answers

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,

Sorry that your sister is not able to use the computer, but as you said the unit was purchased last christmas, mostly the unit will be under warranty as the units would be shipped with a min of an year of Manufaturers warranty, so better to contact acer support & may the warranty may not support accidental damages or any things as such, contct acer, they should help you,. Cheers
  • Dan76
    Dan76 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey - Thanks so much for the advice

I just got off the phone with Acer support, they diagnosed the overheating as a hardware issue and are going to take care of it via the warranty.

My sister was relieved that it will be fixed too. 

FYI...Both you and the support staff on the phone were outstanding. 1,000 Kudos!! Smiley Wink

Thanks again