No coa sticker

frankieateee
frankieateee Member Posts: 2 New User

I bought a new acer comp from tesco, but no coa sticker on the back.anyone knows how can i get a copy of the original product key.Thanks

[subject line edited to reflect new topic]

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that is used to identify genuine Microsoft Windows software. The COA included with Acer products is not used to reinstall the operating system.
    If your computer is shipped with windows 8 or 8.1, the Product key is electronically stored in the firmware of your mainboard.
    This is one of Microsoft's security measures to reduce piracy.
    So if you need to reset or reinstall Windows 8, you don't need to hunt for the product key. It's automatically applied and activated.
    That's certainly a plus, especially when the numbers on those product key stickers wear out or are just too small to easily read.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• csjpokey
    csjpokey Member Posts: 2 New User

what happens if you have to replace the motherboard?

• csjpokey
    csjpokey Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey guys and gals be careful. I just got my predator g6 and no sticker. Talked to a person at Acer.

Be careful peeps if you ever have to replace the motherboard you will also need to buy ANOTHER copy of windows

[edited to comply with guidelines]