My reformatted iMac no longer recognizes my Acer AH263 external drive

kmsiever
kmsiever Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a 2010 27" iMac. The display went on me last week, so I took it in to get repaired. The tech corrupted my OS, so he had to reinstall the OS. I told him that it was fine because I had confirmed my Time Machine backups were in place on my external drive (Acer AH263) before taking it in.

I got my computer back today, but the Acer AH263 doesn’t appear on my desktop or when I browse to User’s iMac. It shows up when I run diskutil list in Terminal and in the System Information utility under USB. It shows up in Disk Utility. When I try to verify the disk, it tells me to repair it. When I try to repair the disk, it tells me it can’t be repaired and that I should back up my files, reformat the disk, then restore the backups.

Is this my only option? If not, what else can I try? It workd perfectly fine the last time it was connected to my computer and had finished doing a Time Machine backup right before I disconnected it. If this is my only option, how to I get the files off of it?

It has no external power supply, and the USB port on the drive is proprietary.

I have connected the drive to a MacBook, and the Acer AH263 doesn’t appear on there either.

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Have you tried connecting this external drive to a Windows PC? You may have better luck with trying to retrieve the data. This way you can save that information to another site, then reformat the Acer AH263 external drive.

In my opinion there should be no reason for you computer not to recognize the external drive unless the drive became corrupt some how. We do not specialize in Apple computers, so I may suggest you contact Apple support as they may have a better solution because they may have a work around using the diskutil list.

I am sorry that my knowledge on Mac's is limited but hopefully another community member can chime in or you are able to get the support you need from Apple.

This discussion has been closed.