Missing boot file on Aspire E15

claudiaskyrogue
claudiaskyrogue Member Posts: 1 New User

A friend has brought me an Acer Aspire E15 complaining that they cannot get it to boot.  The laptop is telling me that it needs to be repaired with recovery media because the boot file is missing information.  Of course, they never created any recovery media.  Since I have never needed to do a full install of Windows 8 without having backups available, I have to ask:  Will the embedded product key still register if I use the Microsoft website to create a new installation usb?  Of do I need to start contacting support numbers?  Is there any other alternative way to deal with this problem?  I can't even check to see if the laptop has a viable recovery partition.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

The product key stored in the firmware of the mainboard will work only with the OEM version of windows that was shipped with your computer.

You may try the below mentioned stesp to perform recovery from recovery partiton.

During the process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased. Therefore, we recommend making a backup of all personal data before starting the recovery process..

Please restart the computer. When the Acer logo appears on the screen (As soon as computer powers on), press and hold the the left Alt key  and tap the F10 key. 

Select Keyboard Layout (United States English).

Please select Troubleshoot in Advance Options to choose Reset

You can purchase recovery media to restore your computer from Acer store : Acer store

If you have a unit from US or Canada, you may also live chat with an Acer technician at : Acer live chat

If you have purchased the computer in any other country, you may contact Acer support here : Acer Global Support

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.