Looking to install another operating system on your Windows 8 system? Start here!

Cory-Acer
Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I hear frequently from users that are interested in changing the operating system from the default OS that comes on their Acer computer. I've creating this thread, which will be stickied, to help consolidate the information and learn how Acer can help users get the most of out of their system.

Tabel of Contents:

1. Why stay with Windows 8?
  2. Preparing to Install a new Operating System.
  3. Setup your Windows 8 system to allow for the installation of another Operating System.
  4. How will Acer help with the installation of a different Operating System?
  5. Have questions or need help? How to ask for help in this thread.

1. Why stay with Windows 8?

There have been a noticeable number of users that want to change their OS from Windows 8 and come to the community to ask questions about this process. There are several factors that lead to this, the big one being that the release of Windows 8 introduced a BIOS replacement (UEFI) on a large scale and this creates a new challenges for those who want to use legacy options. Also, certain components (Bay Trail CPU for example) are not qualified to work with Windows 7.

This thread is meant to help those you want to change operating systems to Windows 7 or any number Linux distributions available, but I also want to address some of the most common perceptions we hear when people discuss why they want to move away from Windows 8. We feel that if we can help you change some settings to get the look and feel you want without the need of installing a different operating system, you'll ultimately have a better experience with your Acer that's designed to work with Windows 8.

Commonly expressed issues with Windows 8:

Spoiler

I don't like the Start Menu (Tiles) - http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32011

Updates to Windows 8.1 have allowed for the operating system to boot directly to the desktop and applications now open appropriately whether you're in the desktop or in the start menu.

I don't have a touchscreen to take full advantage of Windows 8 - http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5573258/windows-8-1-update-download-april-8th-features

Enhancements have been made to the keyboard and mouse functionality that help it quite a bit. Even Start Menu applications now how minimize and close buttons to make this easier.

I really just want a start button - http://windows.about.com/od/customizingwindows/tp/The-Five-Best-Free-Start-Menu-Replacements-For-Windows-8.htm

There are several free and pay options (~$5) that allow you to recreate the start button look and feel. Customization is an option with Windows 8. Also, there are discussions that Windows will be bringing an official start button back to the OS. http://www.extremetech.com/computing/183445-windows-8-start-menu-resurrection-delayed-until-next-version-of-windows-in-2015

Applications don't work on Windows 8 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Of course there are going to be some applications, but those are generally years old (think 10+). We recommend asking the software developer if you're not sure, but you can generally find the answer before you invest time installing a new OS.

Windows 7 overall is better than Windows 8 - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406668,00.asp

Windows 8 is a quicker and leaner operating system that takes up less resources that Windows 7 according to numerous reports and testing.

2. Preparing to Install a new Operating System.

So, you've decided to install a new operating system. Here are some guidelines to help you be as successful as possible with your endeavour.

Spoiler

Create a backup of your OEM Operating System - http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26287

This can't be overstated . If you ever decided you want to return to your original operating system, you'll need this backup. If you need technical support from Acer, we may request that you load the OEM operating system on to remove external factors. If you don't have it, you may be required to purchase this from Acer. Don't skip this step!

Locate Drivers - http://support.acer.com

It's important to locate drivers or know what issues you might be facing before you start this process. Acer qualifies and releases drivers for the operating systems that originally ship on their products. It is entirely possible that Acer will not have Linux or Windows 7 drivers for a machine that we  originally manufacture with Windows 8. The community is a great place to ask questions about specific drivers and talk about where to get them if they aren't directly provided by Acer.

Research the process to identify common issues

There are Youtube video's and instructions freely available to be searched. It is always worth spending time trying to better understand the process before you start only to figure out you're missing something.

3. Setup your Windows 8 system to allow for the installation of another Operating System.

Windows 8 has replaced the traditional BIOS with UEFI. UEFI is a new standard that provides improved security during the boot process for Windows 8. You'll need to make some changes that allow you to install a different Operating System. We've created an FAQ as well as a Video on how to do so.

FAQ: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29401/

Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEcIzdQbitU&feature=share&list=UUc2wrPP5__2PazgxybrgNKw

4. How will Acer help with the installation of another Operating System?

The Acer Community, Acer Idea's and our Support FAQs are designed to provide support for this type of issue. We're creating this specific thread to centralize the issue to ensure the best support we can for users who are interested in installing a third party operating system. Our Technical and Warraty support teams will continue to support the devices with the original OEM Operating System.

5. Have questions or need help? How to ask for help in this thread.

To ensure consistency, I'm going to provide some guidelines to posting for help in this thread. It will make it easier for others to search, and for you to get the help you're looking for. Please provide the following:

Model: (Model of your Acer computer)

BIOS (UEFI) Version: (What is your current BIOS version)

Original Operating System: (What OS came with your system)

New Operating System: (What OS are you trying to install)

Type of Issue: (BIOS Configuration Issue/OS Installation Issue/Driver and Setup Issue)

And don't forget to provide a detailed description of your issue. The more information you provide, the more likely it is that someone can help locate a solution for you.

Answers

• BeeSee
    BeeSee Member Posts: 26

Tinkerer

Thanks for posting this Acer-Cory. When I first bought my Aspire XC-605 a few months ago, I was considering "downgrading" to Windows 7. However, after a few weeks of use and the upgrade to Windows 8.1, I decided that the operating system was just fine, and performance was even better than Windows 7 which I have on my office computer.

All my old software works fine on Windows 8.1 including "ancients" such as Paintshop Pro X and AutoCAD 2005.

• ztarfighter
    ztarfighter Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi!

I have installed windows 7 on my acer aspire v5-573gp

Had to change the disk type to mbr(to be able to install w7) and that includes wiping the disk/removing volumes. And boot with legacy.

And now i cant manage to install valid wireless drivers since acer only offers for windows 8/8.1 drivers and i cant seem to find what type of network card thats installed (i've installed realtek drivers and works for lan but not wireless)

Any suggestions?Smiley Sad

• ztarfighter
    ztarfighter Member Posts: 2 New User

Fixed it somewhat, used driver for the v5-571 w7, realtek/broadcom and bluetooth etc. still cant find usb 3.0 and got a question mark for a pci unit. 

• stevenmalin
    stevenmalin Member Posts: 6 New User
    Hey there,
    I have an Aspire M5-581T. Not long after I purchased it I wiped it and set it up to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu, but I decided to join the modern world and put Windows 8 back on it - a lot of applications I wanted to use weren't compatible with Win7. So, I've had it dual-booting Win8.1 and Ubuntu for a while with no issues.

Ever since I purchased the laptop (over a year ago), I had an issue with the laptop not charging when I plugged it in. On a whim, I checked the download page for my laptop model for BIOS updates, and low and behold, an update is available! I figured this would be the charging fix I've been waiting for, so I downloaded and installed it (version 2.11). It DID fix my charging issue; however, it re-enabled secure boot and set a BIOS password, so now it boots straight into Win8 with presenting the GRUB boot selection when I boot the laptop, and I can't get into the BIOS to disable secure boot (and thus re-enable GRUB).

My question, then, is there any way possible to remove the BIOS password? I've seen methods others have used for removing their passwords, but it has been dependent on having DOS-compatible BIOS flash software, which Acer has not made available. I've read about a "BIOS Crisis Recovery" but have been unable to locate this. Lastly, I've read that Acer will remove the password for $100, but I haven't inquired about this; I think it's incredibly wrong and injust that I should not only have to pay Acer to fix something that Acer's update screwed up, but that I'll also not be able to use my laptop while they're removing the BIOS password - I use my laptop daily for work, and I can't afford to not have it for a week or two or longer - so in a nutshell, sending it in is absolutely not an option.

I've considered the option of doing a full system recovery (reinstalling Windows from scratch) but I don't have any reason to believe that would impact the BIOS or its password in any way.

If anyone has any suggestions to work this out I'd definitely appreciate it. Thanks!
  • stevenmalin
    One more thing to note - I noticed that there is a "BIOS_Acer_1.12_A_A.zip" file available for me to download but I have never looked into it. I don't know if this is a legacy type BIOS, if it can successfully overwrite my UEFI BIOS, if it is/isn't compatible with Windows 8, etc. So I've stayed away from it.
  • DaemonFC
    DaemonFC Member Posts: 8 New User

I would like you to know that I have purchased Acer computers in the past, and I would like to continue doing so, but I ran into some reviews about your computers with Windows 8 and uEFI that concern me. I was hoping that you could clarify the issue at hand.

I thought I was looking at a great deal on your Acer Aspire AXC-603G-UW30.

I would like to know:

What is Acer's official policy on this matter?

What is the exact situation pertaining to booting the user's preferred operating system instead of Windows 8?

• DaemonFC

I would prefer to remove Windows from this system entirely and install Linux instead.

Is this possible using the current uEFI firmware?

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

DaemonFC,

Then AXC-603G comes with a Bay Trail-D processor. The processor does not provide support for the legacy BIOS option. Use of the legacy option is how I've seen users install Linux or other OS's, but I'm not a Linux expert, there may be other ways.

As far as Acer's stance on an issues like this, we support the product as it is shipped from us.If you'd like to install a different OS, or add different hardware, we have the community as an option to discuss these types of inquiries with other like minded users.

Thanks,
    Cory

• cship
    cship Member Posts: 2 New User

I purchased an AXC-603-UR10 yesterday. I was able to get Xubuntu installed on it last night. I suspect I would be able to get Arch and or other major linux distros installed too. I had intended to install OpenBSD on this computer. I have not discovered a way to boot from their CD or from a USB though. The OpenBSD installation media boots on every other computer I own but this one.

That fact that this machine does not allow people to change their operating system with ease is extremely restrictive and ridiculous. There is nothing "secure" about creating barriers to using operating systems other than Windows. This is the first computer I've ever owned that will not allow me to boot what I want to. Acer needs to release a BIOS update that allows "legacy" or CSM boot immediately.

I will vote with my wallet and will more than likely return this computer promptly. Unfortunately, that's the best way I can think of to express my displeasure with not having the right to run the operating system of my choice on a computer I own.

• DaemonFC

It was sort of my understanding that most of the major distributions (Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.) at least have uEFI support, and some of them support "Secure" boot, even using Microsoft's key, if that's the way you choose to go.

I disabled secure boot the minute I got my new PC, and that's where it's staying. I ended up going with a refurb Acer Predator and installing a better graphics card than what it came with.

Between getting it and receiving the newer graphics card, I was using my old EVGA Geforce GTX 560 out of the old computer as an interim replacement. The first thing the uEFI did to me was treat me to a nice big blank screen, so I yanked the Geforce out and put the card that came with the computer in, and then read up on the problem at Nvidia's site, which kindly suggested disabling secure boot, which I had already done, but also turning legacy mode on in the uEFI. So, I did, and the Geforce worked fine until I got the Sapphire Vapor-X R9 270X in the mail. When I got it, I put it in, went into the uEFI setup, disabled the legacy boot option, pushed the little button that puts the R9 270X into uEFI mode, and rebooted. The computer has been running like a dream, but Secure Boot is staying off.

The only thing that I feel that it reliably does, from my own experience, and looking over what actual people have to say about it, is make the computer less likely to boot, period, once people get in and try to start upgrading or changing anything, so I don't see a reason to enable it on my own property if all it's going to do is say "Achtung! You changed your graphics card! Secure Boot violation! Awooga! Awooga! Abandon ship!". *facepalm* Maybe "Sometimes Boots" would be a better name for what this thing actually does.

At least one OEM knew that they had to turn it on as part of the Windows 8 logo program, but they also knew they'd have to tell customers that asked about why their graphics cards weren't working to turn it off, so instead of calling it "Secure Boot" in the uEFI setup program, they just called it "Windows 8 logo requirements" and told users to turn that off instead. It was a British company, and they seem to have found a very British way of tackling that problem. Plus, it also probably doesn't have that "You want me to turn security off?" reaction from customers.

As for what the AXC-603-UR10 is doing, I'm glad to hear that it will boot up at least the Linux distributions that have uEFI support. I had no idea that Intel was getting rid of BIOS backwards compatibility support at the processor level. *sigh*

It's sort of depressing to see that Secure Boot and uEFI are not only breaking software support, but also perfectly good hardware too. There's a lot of good hardware out there that still works and will for years to come that will cause a "Secure Boot" computer to refuse to boot. In my opinion, turning it off to prevent it from failing is the only logical thing to do with it.

In the AXC-603-UR10's case, this might not be a big deal, since it is an inexpensive computer (under $200) that doesn't have any expansion capability other than maybe adding a new RAM module, which wouldn't cause a Secure Boot failure, but if Intel is deleting support for backwards compatibility from the processors themselves, then it's not too hard to see this becoming a problem on higher grade computers.

As for why Secure Boot has to break hardware, I can only speculate. I can't recall the last time I ever heard of "malware" making the rounds that does the "malicious" act of upgrading peoples graphics cards....If anyone finds one, please send me a copy immediately.

BIOS worked for 30 years, and it probably would have worked for 30 more years. The best justification that I can see for uEFI is GPT partition labels, which could have been added to BIOS.

Also, the name of this forum topic is not as accurate as it could be, in my opinion, in that it starts off by implying that anyone who doesn't want Windows 8, must be "downgrading", and then it immediately goes into a line of reasoning that assumes that every Windows 8 refusenik has an invalid reason for wanting to use other software on their property.

• lija888
    lija888 Member Posts: 4 New User

Big problem! After installing win7, I returned to win8, then Windows 8 tried to do some updates on my ACER ASPIRE V5-571PG, unsuccessfully..

After that laptop can not find drives, not even in BIOS! In BIOS, under HDD model name is NONE!

Please help!

• stevenmalin

I'm not sure how a Windows update would impact the BIOS so it doesn't recognize drives, etc.  Any idea what update(s) were installed?  Sounds to me more like a hardware problem than Windows/BIOS.  Have you tried resetting BIOS to defaults?

• lija888
    lija888 Member Posts: 4 New User

Unfortunately no, because updates were done automatically..

Yes, I tried reset BIOS, without success. Smiley Sad

• headoftheclass
    headoftheclass Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello, guys. I recently purchased an Acer Aspire V5-552G-X852 and I want to downgrade to Windows 7. The problem is I can't find win7 drivers for it anywhere. Anyone have any ideas on where I can obtain them? Thanks.

• cship2
    cship2 Member Posts: 2 New User

DaemonFC, thank you for the thoughtful reply.

I was able to get Arch installed on the AXC-603-UR10 without issue. I prefer BSD, but I have been unable to get it installed. FreeBSD has a method of creating UEFI installation media, but it's not mature and I am hesitant to use it. OpenBSD is working on adding UEFI support too. I have no idea when this will be completed.

Products containing Bay Trail-D processors from other computer vendors support CSM or "legacy" boot. Additionally, people are flashing older versions of Acer BIOS, which include CSM or "legacy mode" and the Bay Trail-D machines run fine, with non-UEFI operating systems. Acer customer support is either ignorant of, or lying about, Bay Trail-D processors being unable to support CSM or "legacy" boot.

Please see my post here for more information: http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/Windows-7-on-603-Desktop/m-p/281502#U281502

I had intended to return this computer. Since I was lied to by Acer customer support, I will instead keep the computer and participate in every singe Windows 7/UEFI thread that gets posted here. I will explain to every customer who posts here, that Acer customer support has lied to them too and their computer hardware does in fact support the operating system they want to use.

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Everyone,

I would like to direct you to the link below for our response in regards to this issue and model. Please visit:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/Brand-New-Aspire-XC-603G-ACX-603G-UW31-Windows-7-will-not/td-p/222301/highlight/false/page/5.

I will continue to update the above thread as more information is provided.

Thank you for you understanding and help in bringing this to our attention,

Acer-Ryan

• janetlan
    janetlan Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi! I've just recently purchased an Acer ATC-605-EB1G installed with windows 8.1 and BIOS version P11-A4, and I would like to dual boot with Ubuntu 14.04 however I'm having trouble to boot from a removable device(an USB). I've gone into the BIOS and chnaged the boot priority, but it still boots straight into windows. Have read about changing the boot mode to Legacy, however there isn't such option, so I've also tried disabling secure boot and always launch CSM but still no luck. Can anyone help with this issue? Are there some other settings that I should change? Any help is greatly appriciated thank you!!!

• DaemonFC

You'll need to make sure that the USB stick image you are trying to boot from is compatible with EFI booting.

The PenDriveLinux program can make a boot stick that is EFI compatible.

• janetlan
    janetlan Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi DaemonFC, thanks for replying!

I created the bootable usb with this(Universal USB Installer), is this the program that you are referring to? I'm not sure if it creates a UEFI compatiable boot usb...is there anyway that I can check this?

• stevenmalin
    Look up "rufus" - it can create a bootable USB drive using a couple different legacy and EFI boot partitions. I successfully installed ubuntu 14.04 using it. I have a V5-573P.