How to verify legitimacy of a job offer from someone who identifies themselves as acer japan.

afamaral
afamaral Member Posts: 2 New User

I've received a job offer as a New Account Representative from someone who identifies themselves as Acer Japan, but something seems "off" about this offer. It isn't accompanied by the typical formalities one would expect from a large organization like Acer and I was told that I was hired by the Board of Directors - which seems odd for a low level position. Can someone please point me in the right direction to help me determine its legitimacy.

Thank you.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi afamaral,

I don't have much information to work off of, but based on the information you've provided I would definitely question the legitimacy. A few questions you can answer yourself would probably be enough to determine how you should proceed.

• Did you recently apply for a job with Acer Japan?
    • Did you interview or have discussions with anyone at Acer Japan about a position?
    • How did they communicate this with you? If by email, did it come from an official @acer.com email address?

I can't pretend to know all of the hiring practices of Acer's many departments, but generally I wouldn't expect us to hire without properly screening, interviewing, etc..

Also, your IP shows that you're posting from Canada. Acer Japan does not conduct business in Canada. Acer America operates in this region.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• redbird_is
    redbird_is Member Posts: 1 New User

I received the same letter. Did you end up finding anything out regarding the legitimacy? 

Thanks

• afamaral
    afamaral Member Posts: 2 New User

I did. It's a scam.