How can I resolve the nightmare that is Acer - Support will not respond sensibly to my problems

John_Douglas
John_Douglas Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

On switching on the computer from new and running set up it, we went through a 5 minute QA process after which it sat for 10 minutes with a "please wait setting up screen". It then came up with a register screen which aborted on the grounds that it could not connect to the internet. Since one of the steps it said we would do but did not was connecting to the internet, the computer was not configured to use the router. Duh!

I then connected to the internet and the computer froze because malware took over. The screen was covered in pop-ups and the internet was clogged. I went through uninstalling all running programs as fast as I could, despite this there were many downloads of products and other things. Some of the malware keeps re-installing itself. Some of the things installed seem to have bypassed Windows installation. Some of them appear to have damaged the Windows installation. Some of the malware is also Spyware which informed me it will be sending data from my computer to third parties.

I am unable to stop it displaying adverts and pop-ups which interfere with my activities.

It appears the laptop is preloaded with this stuff which you have to pay acer to remove.

Best Answer

• John_Douglas
    Answer ✓

I have returned the Acer and will buy a new one from Novatech. They guarentee there will be a clean version of windows on it with no crapware on it.

Answers

• John_Douglas

Incidentally I cannot register my product as it seems to have done it itself - it is an Aspire E-15.

• Hi,

Sorry for all the troubles you got,. Best here is that youi may reinstall Operating system, as you said its new out of box,. you may use the steps here: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27003/kw/windows%208.1%20reset
  • John_Douglas

I did that - The Malware and Spyware apear to be part of the original setup and most were re-installed. The start up sequence was different and less frantic as the router was reconfigued by one of the programs and broadband died.  It appears to be one of the Cyberlink programs so I uninstalled them and as much of the malware and spyware I could find before re-configuring the router. This time there was less downloads and many pop-ups that turned up the first time rund did not make an appearance.

However I still can't get rid of all the pop-ups and a lot of Wndows seems to be missing. In particular the Windws update functionality does not work - the updater is unable to connect to the internet.

The system is very slow - so much that as I type occassionally letters go missing. and I am a 1 fingered typist

I am hoping to be able to get a clean installation of Windows 7 to put on it and see if it will then work.

BUT

Still unable to register the product for warranty - the details are:

E5-521-424U MFG Date 2014/08/22
    S/N NXM*********

I am not always able to get into my acer id profile as my d does not always work and am fed up rying. If Acer does not sort out the warranty problems, it will have to go back to the supplier anyway.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

• John_Douglas
    it spent 2 hours installing 55 windows updates, rebooted 3 times in the process and after 10 minutes something called Acer Portal crashed and Windows removed it. Is this good or bad? Who cares? Acer don't.........
  • John_Douglas
    Answer ✓

I have returned the Acer and will buy a new one from Novatech. They guarentee there will be a clean version of windows on it with no crapware on it.