Help! Recovery from Error code 0xc0000034

JennynG
JennynG Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello, I have a laptop Acer V5 touchscreen and it was working fine in the morning, but then I shut it down, came back a little while, turn it on and there is this blue screen pop up that have this msgs:

"Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data File is missing some required information.
File: \BCD
Error code: 0xc0000034

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation
media (like a disc or usb device), contact your system administrator or pc manufacturer.

Press ESC fpr UEFI Fireware settings"

I dont even know whats wrong. I know I'm supposed to have this Recovery disc but I dont have it and all of my files is still in my laptop. Can someone please help me without doing a whole factory reset? I still have all my school works and important documents in it. 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    You need a bootable windows 8.1 installation or recovery media, if you don't have one, you can ask to a friend if he can make a Windows 8.1 USB bootable installation media and try:

Method 1: Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8.1 installation media.

Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 8 installation  and restart your computer.

a) After you boot your computer using Windows 8.1 installation media
    b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
    d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
    e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
    f) Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.
    g) Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.
    h) Windows 8.1 will look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Method 2: If automatic repair doesn’t help to repair the startup files, you may try to repair them using these commands through Command Prompt under Advance Options.

Refer to the steps:
    a) After you boot your computer using Windows 8.1 installation media
    f) Click on command Prompt.
    g) Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:
    Bootrec /fixmbr
    Bootrec /fixboot
    Bootrec /scanos
    Bootrec /rebuildbcd

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JennynG
    JennynG Member Posts: 2 New User

HI! thank you so much for replying to my post. But will doing your methods erase all my files, photos and documents? If possible I'm trying to avoid that because all my presentations and school works is still in there. 

• lfernandes
    lfernandes Member Posts: 3 New User

I recommend using command prompt to copy your files to a external HI. Use open command on notepad to help doing it faster. open command prompt, type notepad.E use open function(Ctrl + O) and select all files.

• chvyman1
    chvyman1 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Mine will not boot from my recovery CD
  • chvyman1
    chvyman1 Member Posts: 7 New User

I made a recovery disk on a sd card and I cant figure out how to boot from that !

• IronFly

you can't boot from the SD card

• lissacoffey
    lissacoffey Member Posts: 6 New User

If possible I'm trying to avoid that because all my presentations and school works is still in there. 

• IronFly

the command i suggested on my first post, will not delete any file on HDD.

• Jugnu100
    Jugnu100 Member Posts: 3 New User
    IronFly said:
    You need a bootable windows 8.1 installation or recovery media, if you don't have one, you can ask to a friend if he can make a Windows 8.1 USB bootable installation media and try:

Method 1: Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8.1 installation media.

Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 8 installation  and restart your computer.

a) After you boot your computer using Windows 8.1 installation media
    f) Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.
    g) Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.
    h) Windows 8.1 will look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Method 2: If automatic repair doesn’t help to repair the startup files, you may try to repair them using these commands through Command Prompt under Advance Options.

Refer to the steps:
    a) After you boot your computer using Windows 8.1 installation media
    f) Click on command Prompt.
    g) Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:
    Bootrec /fixmbr
    Bootrec /fixboot
    Bootrec /scanos
    Bootrec /rebuildbcd

I have the same problem as JennynG. I didn't have a system recovery flash drive (Aspire S7 has no CD drive), so I downloaded bootable Windows 8.1 from MS website on my flash drive. However, I cannot get the computer to load from the flash drive. It doesn't go beyond the blue error message screen, despite trying different BIOS settings. 

• Jugnu100
    Jugnu100 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the same problem as JennynG. I didn't have a system recovery flash drive (Aspire S7 has no CD drive), so I downloaded bootable Windows 8.1 from MS website on my flash drive. However, I cannot get the computer to load from the flash drive. It doesn't go beyond the blue error message screen, despite trying different BIOS settings.