Attn: Acer-Corey concerning Gateway SX2110G you helped me with on FB

bytes
bytes Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm assuming you're the same Corey that replies to Acer's FB page posts/messages.

I'm the guy you worked with in trying to get the 84 year old veteran's PC to activate Win 8 after a factory restore.

You had contacted MS, who relayed a bunch of reg querys, & many other tries to get this thing to work, all to no avail.

You even gave me another product ID Key to use, which didn't work either.

Just wanted you to know it finally got fixed! Whoo hoo!

Yep, only MS had to have me download retail Win 8 & do a phone activation on it, & it worked!

For some reason the factory restore could not read the product ID Key from the UEFI Bios.

What's weird to me is that the bios would allow another OS to be installed. I thought that was the purpose of UEFI (besides preventing piracy). I know it sure wouldn't let me install Win 7 on it. Maybe keeping it Win 8 was all it took.

The only reason I needed support was because after factory restore was done, Win 8 could not activate from the bios. It said "Windows Couldn't Be Activated".... "Activation error description not found" error code 0xC002001B

I can only think of two reasons this occurred. One, a bad load was sent out, or two, one of the many viruses this guy had successfully edited either the bios or the hidden restore partition. He had 7 trojans & over 2100 malewares...

But Belarc Advisor (awesome free program) easily read the product ID Key in the bios, so why couldn't a fresh reload? Bad restore load is all I can figure...hey, it happens, no blame.

I was a 3rd tier tech for Gateway in their hayday from '95-2k1. They shipped out 20k units per day then (US alone), & took over 10k support calls per day, & had 20k employees worldwide. The loaders would often be corrupt, causing 3-4 hour fdisk\format\reload calls 'washing it in tech' (is how they put it...). This was of course before reload DVDs or hidden partion restores existed...

Anyway Corey, I wanted to thank you for the considerable time you spent helping me try to fix this issue. Tell your boss I said to give you a raise! (lol, yeah like he'll/she'll listen...uh huh, sure...)

c ya

Frank

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hey Frank,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, that was me, but I was just assisting our social media guys.

I'm really glad to hear you got the issue fixed and I appreciate you providing a resolution, even if I wasn't able to get you one. Maybe members of the community would have found the easier path than the one I took you on. Smiley Happy

Thanks again, and welcome to the Acer Community.

Cory