Aspire Driver Update

Tahano
Tahano Member Posts: 2 New User

Someone please tell me if I am correct, please.

I have a Acer Aspire X1430G.

Per the Offical webpage at 

http://www.official-drivers.com/installer/?seed=acer&cate=notebook&gclid=COjp2qv7l70CFbFFMgodDTsA3g

I have 3 options, each of which, all direct me to DriverTuner which requires me to purchase said DriverTuner software to obtain updated drivers from the manufacturer. Note: Said program scan informs me that I need to Update 7 drivers from the SATA controller to Audio controller.

I found a Certified Acer Updater program elsewhere that when ran said "no updates available."

As a consumer, that has purchased from you in the past, and must  now decide on the service aspect of your organization and how "you" treat the ones who give you the ability to continue to fuction and operate as a "goods provider", I must ask myself, "Which of these two differing results can I believe to be true? The one from the official website that requires another monetary value for what should have been paid for with the initial purchase, or, the certified free software that says no updates needed?"

As I am having some issues with purchased product, before I have to spend more for what should already be paid for, to compensate for some CEO, CFO or others bonus at the end of the year, I would sincerly appreciate some valid truth, if this is still (or even) possible in the current climate of corporate reality.

Which one am I to believe?

The paid version that wants more?

Or the certified free scanner that says none needed?

Thank you and looking forward to the truth.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hello Tahano.

The "Official Drivers" website is nothing at all to do with Acer. All Acer issued/supported drivers are on the support website. Acer would not charge for them either. This website is asking for money when updates are FREELY available elsewhere. My personal opinion? Avoid. The Acer updater program is sufficient for Acer-approved updates.

Now, certain component manufacturers, for example, Intel, Nvidia or AMD etc, may offer generic updates on their own website. Most support sites offer a scanner, so it will check your computer and offer any updated drivers as a result. All for free.

You can also right click an item in Device Manager, and click "Update Driver".

• Tahano
    Tahano Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you for your response.

To follow through with this response that you have graciously provided, let me please expand and validate some of my understanding and perception.

I did check device manager compared to what a scan of this "Device Tuner" said I needed to update. The one that caught my attention most, and would coinside with the issues I am currently experiencing (i.e. sporadic freezing and lagging of mouse and streaming video or slow response to input) with the IDE ATA/ATAPI -AMD SATA and the PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge controller both agree to a date of 2010 and 2006 respectively.

I believe that this could possibly coincide with my current issues.

A device driver update throught the MS software shows no updates available.

I believe that MS can have a limited "availability" issue and will not always find the most current drivers.

Is this true? it seems that a 7 year old driver should have had some kind of updat at this time.

Thank you.

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Not necessarily. On my 2013 Aspire E1-531 Windows 8.1 - there are a few drivers dated 2007/2009. One or two dated 2012, and some 2013. My desktop running Windows 7 is similar.

If there is no need to update a driver it doesn't matter. After all a driver is only updated if a previous one has had bugs, or if the new one offers improvements over the existing one. If a driver works perfectly, with no bugs, it doesn't need updating!

As I've said, you can go to the manufacturers websites for updates. There are also free reputable programs available that can also advise on updates: Secunia PSI or IOBits Driver Booster. It's just not worth spending money on a program when free alternatives offer the same.

If you are having issues even after updating to new drivers - a clean install of Windows might help.

This discussion has been closed.