Acer recovery help

Pedrobristol
Pedrobristol Member Posts: 2 New User
I have an Acer which I purchased in December 13. Despite having security software installed, the machine got infected with malware and I decided to restore the operating system using the recovery USB that I purchased when I bought the computer.

I did the 'delete the partitions and start again from scratch' option, however after finishing, the laptop boots back into the recovery system. If you take out the USB drive then the laptop won't boot. I spoke to an ACER tech person on live chat who advised me to zero-fill the drive using a third party disk utility. I've done as instructed, but still get the same problem as before.

I've tried fixing the MBR, tried just about everything I can think of, but nothing seems to work!!

Please help!!

Answers

• jeankath
    jeankath Member Posts: 4 New User

I'm kind of in the same boat with discs tho. Got a virus, a computer company had to wipe hard drive off and reinstall win 7 but all preloaded software gone! I can't get any help to see how to fix without drastic measures. I'm still learning some PC stuff although I'm self taught on most of easy stuff. Did you find any help online anywhere?

• Pedrobristol
    Pedrobristol Member Posts: 2 New User

Nope...

I'm starting to think you need the original ACER recovery discs which arn't generally shipped with the laptop.

I got mine from Currys / PC World, and paid extra for the recovery USB media.  I went to see their Know How people over the weekend and they couldn't give me any help at the time.  They did however mention that the USB recovery discs are made instore..  Apparently someone literally boots up the computer, sticks in a USB drive and gets Windows to create the recovery media!

One thing I did try was to install Windows 8 from an evaluation copy of windows 8 which I downloaded from Microsoft.  This installs absolutely fine, so I'm convinced that there was a problem creating the USB recovery disc.  The evaluation copy however is pointless because it only lasts for 90 days.  If I had the product key I could possibly change it after installation, but it is embedded in the laptop and therefore not on the packaging or laptop case anywhere...  I even tried to do a recovery ontop of the windows installation using my original USB drive...  This takes me back to the not booting problem...

If you have the original recovery discs supplied with the computer then you should be able to recover to factory settings quite easily.  Just stick the DVD in and reboot your machine.  As long as the CD/DVD drive is set to boot, it should take you through the setup..  The only thing is that you would loose any info that you've got on your machine since it was fixed by the computer shop, so you would have to back that up first.

Pedro

This discussion has been closed.