not charging through 'normal' usb port acer liquid e2 duo

AliJas
AliJas Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have a acer liquid e2 duo, which shows strange behaviour, when I connected to a socket charger it just charges fine, but when I connect it to a random usb port It shows the lightning bolt in the battery icon, but the phone doesn't charge, nor does it discharge.

I checked and cleaned the connector on the phone and have tried different micro usb cables and different usb sockets.

has anyone seen this behaviour and is there a solution to it?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

probably socket chargers output 5V 1000mAh

USB port voltage output is 5V 500mAh

so you can easy understand that USB port can't have enought "juice" to charge at the same speed of socket chargers; i also suggest you to don't charge or connect for a long time, any recent smartphone, on USB port, since this will overheat the battery.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • AliJas

The charging is not slow, it is not charging at all, when it is charging the battery icon is animated to show it is indeed charging.
    I also forgot to mention, if I turn of the phone and try to charge through normal usb, it does charge the phone. when charging in 'off' mode the phone is actually not really of, but running some sort of 'charging only' software.

I also recalibrated the battery, (as this might also cause strange charging behaviour)

• IronFly

in my opinion, is a normal behaviour.

i don't have my E2 on my hands but charging on "off mode" will be faster/easier also on AC charger, beacuse phone doesn't drain battery to stay on.

monitor on, wifi/data connection on, cpu working, BT on, GPS on and maybe some applications running on background, that's all things that drain battery and a normal USB port can't handle to charge the battery; about the icon, it only tells you that phone is receiving power from an external source.

if you still think this is not the best solution, you can try a factory reset and before re-installing third party applications, connect via USB your device and check if it charges. (maybe it's just an application that's running hard on background)

to do a factory reset (you will loose all your personal data, so do a backup first):

settings/backup&settings/factory reset

• AliJas

thanks for your reply

I know the difference between connected to power source and connected to power source while charging. in the first case the battery icon is not animated, in the second it is.

I'm pretty sure the phone is not having many applications open BT, GPS and WIFI are turned off.

android phones cannot charge the battery if they are realy off, when you connect a cable while the phone is turned off, you'll notice some delay and then the screen turns on showing a battery icon, after a few seconds it even changes to an animated battery icon, so there must be some software running to be able to show just that.

I do not want to do a factory reset yet, but if no better suggestions are posted I will probably try that.

• IronFly

The battery animation when "OFF" it's done by the battery controller.