What is new in the KitKat update (4.4.2) for Acer Liquid E3

WillL
WillL Member Posts: 121 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

As the update is now rolling out and we aren't likely to receive any documentation from Acer covering what is in the update, I thought it would be worth starting a topic so everyone with the update can post details of anything new they have found. So far, the differences I have found are limited and really wonder what the purpose of the update was.

1. For the dual sim model, the icon that used to show no signal for the 2nd sim (when not inserted) now shows a graphic of a sim card with a question mark on.

2) When pressing the right button on the phone (recent), instead of having to close all apps separately, there is now a button at the top to "remove all"

3) Pressing the recent button in some apps used to quickly flash up the settings menu before exiting (because this button used to be used for settings in previous android versions) and this no longer happens

4) The wifi notification icon at the top of the screen (when wifi is enabled) used to show as white when connected to wifi and change green when there was internet access. This now stays white so you have no visual indication of whether connected to the internet (not a good update)

Answers

• WillL

Unfotunately you can't edit previous posts so I'll continue here. Smiley Sad

5) The camera app has been updated. I've not spent a lot of time on this but at first glance it looks better. Unfortunately this app has highlighted that 3) above is incorrect. Pressing the recent button quickly flashes up the settings menu before exiting.

• jaimypreme
    jaimypreme Member Posts: 6 New User
    Hi, a few changes i noticed are
    6) Downloads stock app haves a new white UI
    7) A transparant notification bar
    8) The stock clock app also haves a few noticable updates
    9) In the settings you now have:
    a) Cloud print all the way down the settings
    b) You can set your default launcher (Home)
    c) You can also set your default SMS app

And i also feel it's a bit more responsive and quicker.
  • jaimypreme

Also if you go to Settings->Apps then you'll see a new tab called disabled

And a comment to number 4, You can see the Wifi logo going from white into green if you pull down the notification bar like showed in the picture below.Screenshot_2014-10-08-12-32-30.png

• Nebur
    Nebur Member Posts: 12 New User
    Hi, in response to number 3: after running the update the menu button in e.g. chrome disappeared and pressing the recent button shows the menu before quitting the app. So this is actually the opposite of whats described?
  • Nebur
    Nebur Member Posts: 12 New User
    Oh and ofcourse really annoying!
  • WillL
    I was totally wrong about 3 - I never knew holding the recent button would show the menu!
  • rungek
    rungek Member Posts: 6 New User

How does this update happen? I have 4.2.2 but when I search for system updates am told thephone is up to date. Thanks

• jaimypreme
    If you hold the recent apps button long enough then the settings will show up without going to recent apps at least that workes for me. But i have to says it doesn't work all the time.
  • garyg124
    garyg124 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Hi,

I have the Acer E380 single sim. Will this get the 4.4.2 update to?

All I have found so far is the duo sim model getting the kitkat update.

Thanks

• jaimypreme
    Hi Gary,
    I have the Acer E380 single sim version and i got the update. It maybe depends on the region or in or not. I'm from Belgium btw.
    Greetz,
  • garyg124

Tinkerer

Cheers Buddy,

I'm in the UK on Three network so I can only assume it'll be on it's way soon (hopefully)

Hsa it helped with battery usage etc? I'm having to use Greenify just to make it last a day!

• jaimypreme
    Hi,
    Guess you gotta wait and yeah i do see a slighr change of battery usage but i guess you'll notice it the most when u do a full charge. I use du battery saver pro to make it last a day but without the app now it can last a full day.
  • WillL

10) New e-mail app (or at least updated version). In the previous version you could select all e-mails for deletion rather than selecting them all individually. I can't seem to do this, does anyone know how to in this new version?

• garyg124

Tinkerer

Still no update for me. I wonder if it is 3 Network that is holding it back so they can fill it with their *****.

• WillL

If your phone came with preinstalled stuff then this is probably the reason. Maybe you should contact 3 and say the update is available for vanilla E3 phones so when will they release it for phones on their network.

• garyg124

Tinkerer

Cheers, I've just Emailed them.

• garyg124

Tinkerer

I just spoke to Three & they have spoken to Acer (as it appears no one from Acer bothers to read these forum to offer  help!)

They said Acer are still rolling out the update & it will come to Three users very soon, as it is rolled out in batches. The update will come from them not Three.

• spinecho
    spinecho Member Posts: 9 New User
    Thanks for the heads-up Gary.
    After all the waiting, hopefully KitKat on the e3 will be worth it!!! ;-)
  • zalamay
    zalamay Member Posts: 2 New User

hi is there a bluetooth smart (Bluetooth Low Energy) support under android 4.4? 

Did someone connected the phone to a smartband/tracker or a puls tracker like the "Polar h7" e.g.? 

could please someone run the app "BLE Checker" (google play store/android pit)

and tell me the result. 

thank you very much

• garyg124

Tinkerer

Link is no good mate