Liquid E2 Duo V370 SIM Toolkit or Lycamobile issue?

phoenix
phoenix Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon

I have the dual sim phone running Android 4.2.2, with build 1.030.00_WW_GEN1. I have a Lycamobile SIM and a Toggle SIM in the phone (for info, Lycamobile and Toggle are effectively the same company). With Lycamobile and Toggle you sometimes need to use the SIM Toolkit to access the SIM itself to switch modes on the phone. SIM Toolkit will only let me access one SIM on this phone (the Toggle one). If I swap SIM slots to see if that is the issue I still cannot access the Lycamobile SIM. If I put the Lycamobile SIM in another Android I can access the SIM OK and change the settings I need to there. I am just mystified as to why the V370 is not able to recognize the Lycamobile SIM.

Lycamobile does appear in the list when I open SIM Toolkit but if i click on it I get the message "Application is not installed on your phone".

If I go into Manage Apps I can see 2 SIM Toolkit entries there: one is titled SIM Toolkit, one is called SIM Tool Kit. SIM Tool Kit is version 4.2.2 eng.call2.1382531631; SIM Toolkit is Version 1.0.

Does anyone have a clue as to why the Lycamobile SIM is not recognized on this device ?

Answers

• mrrog
    mrrog Member Posts: 42 New User
    I'm on the 032 gen1 build for the duo, neither my talkmobile or '3' sim tookits work, and never have.

Not sure if this helps but there are a couple of dedicated mtk apps on google play for sim control, just search 'mtk sim'
  • phoenix

Thanks. I have MTK Control Free installed which allows me to enable/disable different flavours of it but it does not go down to the granularity that SIM Toolkit does. I will look on the other dual sim phone and check the SIM Toolkit levels there and see if I can spot a difference.

• mrrog
    I have '3' as my sim 2, which gives me the application not installed, talkmobile on sim 1 gives me an error code, have you tried alternating the sims!
  • phoenix

I have tried almost every variation possible I think: I put the Lycamobile in slot 1, same error, and then slot 2, same error; I tried it with the Toggle in slot 1 and slot 2 and it works as expected each time; I have tried it with Toggle in slot 1, Lycamobile slot 2, same error, Lycamobile in slot 1, Toggle in slot 2, same error. Later tonight I am going to get the other phone out and see if I can see if there is an obvious difference but SIM Toolkit has been around for years so this is very confusing to me - Lycamobile obviously have the stuff on the SIM that should be there but the V370 does not like it. Let me dig the other phone out tonight and I will report back.

• phoenix

So, the other phone is a ZTE V790 Android 4.0.4, SIM Toolkit is 4.0.4-20121213.152757.26676. With one SIM enabled in phone I have SIM Toolkit in the app list, when I enable the second SIM, then SIM Toolkit2 appears in the list and I can access the Lycamobile SIM just fine. Very confused at this.

The one odd thing that I noticed and did not mention before, is that if I go into manage apps on the Acer, I have two SIM Toolkit entries, one is with the version in my opening post, the second entry is Version 1.0. The first one in the list has a picture of the SIM card with what looks like a little blue rosette with the number 1 in it, the second entry in the list (version 1.0) has a picture of the SIM card with what looks like a small cog. I am wondering if this is just the launcher for STK. Anyway, still very confused at this.

• mrrog
    I must say i've been a bit philosophical about this as i seem to be able to get all the functionality i want out of my sims, but another thing i have noticed is if i go to settings-about phone-sim info, for talkmobile it seems to know the talkmobile network but not the number, for '3' it doesn't know the network but does know the number, go figure!
  • phoenix

Same for me on both sims it shows: +44000000000.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

I have a "H3G IT" sim and i have the "application no installed" but this is correct since other devices can't find the Sim Tool Kit (tried in a GS2 with Cyanogen and STK doesn't appear, using Vodafone IT SIM STK appears).

so probably 3 doesn't allow users to see SIM menu.

About the SIM number on "settings-about phone-sim", in my 2 SIMS i can modify the phone number but i don't know if this will fix your problem with no number listed since it can be sort of mismatch from device to network operator.

settings/SIM management

tap on the SIM you want to change the phone number, tap on "enter phone number" and edit your number, then reboot.

if the SIM doesn't allow to change this number, probably it's hard coded by the network operator.

Phoenix, it's better if you update to the latest version 1.032 (available only by FOTA, network connection needed) and retry if this fix your problem, BTW from which country are Lycamobile SIM and a Toggle SIM  network operator?

EDIT: just notice that....ZTE is based on Qualcom CPU, Acer E2 is based on MTK CPU. some kind of incompatibility for MTK CPU devices?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • phoenix

Phoenix, it's better if you update to the latest version 1.032 (available only by FOTA, network connection needed) and retry if this fix your problem, BTW from which country are Lycamobile SIM and a Toggle SIM  network operator?

I clicked on System updates and it says my device is up to date, this is over WIFI.

I am from UK for both Lycamobile and Toggle.

• IronFly

system updates doesn't find the update, know issue.

try to reboot your E2 with network connection available, it will appear an icon on the notification bar with an update available.

• phoenix

Tried a restart - if that's what you mean - and nothing appears in the notification area. There is a wifi connection available if that is what you mean by "network connection" - or did you mean something else ?

• IronFly

Wifi can be good but i think that a mobile data connection will be better.

Has system updates ticked the option of automatic check?

• phoenix

OK, tried  restart after disabling wifi and using a data connection, no notification. I tried System update again (I have it checked to automatically update) and it says device is up to date. I then unchecked auto-update and tried again and it still says it is up to date. The phone is rooted so I temp unrooted it using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and still no luck. It would be nice if Acer made it available for download somewhere rather than OTA only.

• IronFly

not an official tool but i hope it will work (i don't have an E2 right now to test it but i tested on other models and worked.)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1810687

• phoenix

OK, I might be being thick here so bear with me ! Thanks for the OTA updater, I installed it, ran it, it selects my device correctly, and tells me that 32 is available so I download it. The zip downloads to my laptop but when I try to extract it or open it I get a message saying that is it not a valid zip. Is that the correct process that I should be following so far ? I was then going to copy it to the SD card, enter recovery mode, and then update using that zip as-is.

• IronFly

you need to decrypt the OTA zip before update via recovery.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=609246&d=1306538851

download this tool, decrypt the .zip downloaded, copy the decrypted .zip to the SD, boot on recovery and flash.

To moderator: i know this is not an official way but sometimes it's the only one to found an update. Smiley Sad

• phoenix

OK, did all that, and get an "assert failure" when I try to apply it to the phone via recovery.

assert failed: applu patch check /system/app/Music2.apk, string of numbers, installation aborted.

I have removed "stuff" in the past using Titanium Backup so I suspect it is related to this and I will get a few more as I go along the way. Not sure of the quickest way around this, but will trawl and see what I can find.

Thanks thus far, much appreciated.

• mrrog
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47253374#post47253374

Try link above, after applying the phone goes through several ota update sequences
  • phoenix

Yes, I have had to do that before and am trying to avoid it ! Smiley Happy

• mrrog
    Yeah, i understand why, if you find another/easier method please post, in the vain (i suspect) hope of another acer update i have held of rooting the phone again
This discussion has been closed.