Aspire R3-131T, need more space for windows update

acerconsumer
acerconsumer Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I attempted to update windows and a dialog box appears, see attached untitled.bmp, says windows needs more space.  The update is Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586

I cleaned the system files and temp files using built in windows application, Disk Cleanup

There is only 8GB available for use on the hard disk drive that came with this new computer.  Thank you for any advice or support

Best Answer

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

8 gb and a 16GB+ SD card should be enough for the upgrade. Upgrade from what ? 8.1 or an earlier Win10 ?

ps I do not see an attachment.

Answers

• padgett
    Answer ✓

8 gb and a 16GB+ SD card should be enough for the upgrade. Upgrade from what ? 8.1 or an earlier Win10 ?

ps I do not see an attachment.

• acerconsumer

Tinkerer

The update is for Windows 10 via Update and security in settings.  There is 8.25GB free of 28.52GB.

I thiink this might be a refurbished computer, bought from a local walmart October 2015.   

• padgett

Doesn't matter as ling as it is activated properly.

8GB is pleanty, I have upgraded with 6GBavailable before.

So what you need is a 32, 64, or 128GB microSD card in the slot (16GB is iffy but may work if empty). It will appear in File Manager as a "D" drive. Make sure it is formatted NTFS.

When the Upgrade says "needs more space" there should be a selection for "use available drive" select that and a blank menu will appear. After a minute or so the D: drive should appear in the window. Select that and you should be able to continue.

On my W510 the upgrade took around 7 hours. Just left it to chug overnight. Do Not do anything else while in progress or it may fail.

• acerconsumer

Tinkerer

The Acer Aspire didn't come with a card reader. 

Could I use a 128GB USB flash drive to complete the update? 

• padgett

Are you certain, what I have seen is a SD card slot in the rear of the case (has a cover). I just ordered an R3-131T-P344 so should know in about a week.

Meanwhile check the rear of your case.

• acerconsumer

Tinkerer

I found the card reader on the Acer.

I don't have an SD card. Which one is very reliable?
  • acerconsumer

Tinkerer

I reset the computer through Recovery Management in Acer Care Center.

I will update this posting soon...
  • padgett

Personally like Kingston the best then Sandisk, Crucial, and PNY. Have to watch out for counterfeits though particularly XC (64, 128 GB) cards. If the price is too good to be true it probably is.

Since I do not have one yet, I do not know if you need a reduced height adapter for the display to rotate fully with a card in place. Does anyone know (R3/R11 is different from R5/R14) ?

In 1969 Chevrolet boasted that there were so many options that they never had to make two cars alike. That worked then but not in this century. 

• acerconsumer

Tinkerer

Walmart had two brands pny and SanDisk.  I bought a SanDisk Ultra Plus SDXC UHS-1 Card 64GB, speed up to 80 MB/s 533x

I think the screen will flip completely even with a SD card in the slot.  I will no more after finding out if the card, stated above meets the requirements for updated windows systems. 

Do I need to format the card?  If so, what allocation unit size? 

Thank you for any support

• padgett

If it mounts as a drive it does not need formatting. If it does I'd try NTFS and use the defaults for every thing else.

UHS-1 or Class 10 is good particularly for video, there are a lot of class 4s that will work but may take a little longer. I have had good luck with San Disk, PNY, and Kingston. However many SD readers are limited to 30MB/s.

• acerconsumer

Tinkerer

Thank you.  Now I knnow that the SD card will work for the Acer. 

I decided to use a USB flash drive (thumb drive), 32GB to complete windows updates.  I am confused as to how to transfer the contents created on the USB flash drive to the SD card.

For reference, i inserted screen images of diskmgmt and the USB drive.

Thank you for any support.

usbdrive02022016.png

diskmgmt02022016.png

• padgett

You could just either cut or copy everything on the flash and put it in a directory on the SD card but perfonally I'd create a recovery flash drive and take a system image. That way you can always recover to this point and don't need those files (or the windows.old directory on CSmiley Happy

• acerconsumer

Tinkerer

Thank you for all the help.

I am confused.  File explorer shows my SD card twice, contains system image backup and file history backup.  How do I fix file explorer?

fileexplorer02072016.png

• padgett

Click on "this PC" and it should just show once. I've seen that doubling before but just ignore it.

• acerconsumer

Tinkerer

Thank you for the quick reply.  I fixed the Windows 10 update issue with your help, created a system image and file history backup (SD card).  

As for the duplicate drives in Windows 10 file explorer, I will ignore it for now.  I think it might be a symptom of out dated or duplicate registry entries and maybe uninstalling duplicate entries in device manager (Device Managment) could fix the issue.

Thank you for all the support.

• Onit4You
    Onit4You Member Posts: 4 New User

The card reader is on the back edge of the folding part of laptop. it's right in the center. I have tried that though. I have a 16/32GB card plus a 1TB external drive, which came up as drive D but I don't get the option to load it on to that drive????? 

• padgett