Upgraded my acer s7 392 to windows 10, MS excel gets blocked, memory insufficient

ajot77
ajot77 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello,

I recently upgraded my S7 392 8GB RAM, core i5 4200U, to windows 10 Pro.   Since then I have been having problems mainlyl in MS excel.  Every hour or so the system becomes unresponsive for 5 or more minutes, and sometimes it does work again after, but sometimes it does not.   A couple of times It tried to recalculate the formulas of a spreadsheet that it had no problem with before, but now it take a long time, and then says it cannot recalculate because the system does not have enough memory.

I ran windows ram memory test and did not show any errors.  Have updated all the drivers and bios to the latest version available at acers support site on january 14th 2016, with the exception of the driver for intels management engine interface, since it seems to be the cause of a problem I had where the laptop did not wake up after going to sleep mode  (screen stayed black and the bulb light stayed blue, system unresponsive, and had to manually turn off), so that one i rolled back to previous version which is 9.5.

Help and ideas are welcomed.

Cheers,

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Are you running an Acer OEM version of Windows 10, or did you install your own copy of Windows 10 Pro?

What version of office (Excel) are you running? Is it the version in the Office 365 subscription? 

• ajot77
    ajot77 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello Blayn,

Is installed windows 10 pro 64 bits on my own.  I am running office 2013

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Have you updated to Windows build 1511, 10586 (can see in MSINFO32). It solved many problems for me.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

ajot77.

Did you figure it out?? I don't have your computer model but have Haswell-ULT model i5 4210U.

I gave up with the clean install of Windows 10 Home due to massive memory leak.  I see that you figured out that version 11.x Intel Management Engine was causing the sleep/forced shutdown problem.  I orginally thought the ME driver was also causing the memory leak too.  But obviously it's not. It's something else since we both tried version 9.x ME driver.

The workaround that I used was to wipe the drive with diskpart clean.  Clean install vanilla Windows 8.1.  Use all of the Windows 8.1 drivers from Acer's website.  Upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update. From there, the only drivers that I updated was Bluetooth and Wifi but I did that through Device Manager using "Search automatically for Updated Driver software".  You would need to take one more step since you want Windows 10 Pro.  You would need to go to Settings>Update and Security>Activation and change your product key.  If you have Windows 10 Pro key, then enter that.  If you upgraded to Windows 10 Pro through Windows Store, then enter the generic Windows 10 Pro key.  (Google search for generic key. It's not a secret).

Of course I'm making an assumption that your computer came pre-installed with Windows 8.1

If you figure out which driver is causing the memory leak, please post.  I gave up after two minutes because I was already worn out from messing the Management Engine driver (Turbo Boost driver).

I'm not an Acer employee.