R7-571 Charging Issue

ixbi
ixbi Member Posts: 3 New User

I've kind of hit a wall with this one and I'm not sure how to proceed.
My Aspire R7 suddenly stopped taking a charge. It will say it's charging for a few seconds when I first plug it in, but will quickly stop. It also shows that it's charging when it's off, but the battery does not seem to actually charge, though I haven't left it for very long because I don't want to somehow inadvertently cause electrical damage. It won't run on just cord power.  I've since replaced the charger and the power jack (with an OEM part) but that hasn't fixed things.  

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?  Thanks in advance!

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

"It won't run on just cord power." - if that is what is happening then you have a hardware failure, either the computer, the cord, or the adapter (if seperate).

• scrambler
    scrambler Member Posts: 127 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

To 100% eliminate the battery as an issue, I would open the computer and unplug the battery, and test if it can run plugged into an outlet without the battery in.

If it still does not, then as said above, you have a hardware failure.

• padgett

Or get a copy of BatteryInfoView from Nirsoft and see what it says.

• macielMaciel
    macielMaciel Member Posts: 6 New User

I HAVE A SIMILAR ISSUE MINE COMPLETELY DIED AND WHEN I WENT TO PLUGIN THE POWER ADAPTER NO LIGHTS ON MY NOTEBOOK CAME ON AND THE LIGHT ON MY ADAPTER CONTINOUSLY FLASHES. CAN ANYONE HELP? 

• scrambler

Have you tried any of the thins explained above?

Another thing to always try when a notebook does not start, is remove the battery, unplug the power supply, and press the power/start button continuously for a full minute (keep it pressed all the time).

Then try to start again on power supply.

• macielMaciel

Removing the batery completely or by by the ed little button to detach battery.

• scrambler

Not sure what model you have. On an R7 572, the only way to disconnect or remove the battery is by opening up the laptop.

If you have another laptop with a removable battery, then just use that.

But the battery must be disconnected completely.

• macielMaciel

I have held the button down for 5 seconds to detach battery waited 5 min and tried to power supply and no luck km no lights come on on my notebook at all and power supply light still flashing continously

• macielMaciel

R3-471T-54T1

• scrambler

I do not understand what you mean by "I have held the button down for 5 seconds to detach battery "

Is your battery removable or Not ?

Also, What I said was:

• Detach / disconnect the battery
    • Disconnect the power supply
    • Keep the power ON/start button pressed continuously for 60 seconds.

Then connect the Power supply and try to start

• ixbi

As far as I know, the R7-571 has a failsafe that won't allow the computer to turn on without the battery connected. In any event, my won't turn on at all, battery or no.

• scrambler

Dont know about the 571, on my 572, I can run with battery disconnected.

Didi you try the 60 second power button press with ALL power sources diconnected?

• macielMaciel

On my notebook there is a pin hole on the bottom by the battery, to detach the battery.  But to physically remove the battery I would bave to take the notebook apart.

• macielMaciel

On my notebook there is a pin hole on the bottom by the battery, to detach the battery.  But to physically remove the battery I would bave to take the notebook apart. I tried the 60second power button test and nothing

• scrambler

I assume that when you say "there is a pin hole on the bottom by the battery, to detach the battery"  you mean disconnect the battery.

If not, I fail to make the difference between detach and remove Smiley Happy

If after the 60 sec power button sequence with all power sources disconnected it still does not start when reconnected, then you need to get hold of an other power adapter that you know works. If a known power adapter (with and without battery diconnected) still does nothing, then you most likely have a hardware failure on the internal power board or mother board inside the laptop

• ixbi

I have, yes. Still no response. If it is a hardware failure, does that mean the laptop is unrepairable?

• scrambler

Everything is repairable, it is just a matter of cost.

If you are no longer under warranty, you could try to find a repair shop that would do a diagnostic for you at reasobale price to see if it is worth replacing the part involved.

Changing just a small power board may be worth it. Changing the mother board may not. Only you can determine what price is worth doing the repair.

• scrambler

Thank you for that, definitely worth trying.

I also understand what macielMaciel meant now Smiley Happy

• padgett

Does sound like an internal short. I believe the flashing power supply light means an overload and the first thing to do is to remove the battery from the circuit and see if the issue is resolved.

BTW there are twelve screws in three rows of four on the bottom. On my R3 (and I suspect all of the R series) there is an interlock button next to one of the two center screws.

First thing I'd do is to see if the screws are tight as if the interlock is not made, the device will do nada. (However the flashy light on the PS makes me think it is more likely an internal short).