R5-471T, When can we expect an Acer supported GPU driver update for this?

EricMarshall
EricMarshall Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Intel has a stable driver release dated 3/8/2016 for HD520 graphics. The i5-6200U found in this laptop is specifically mentioned. This driver can not be installed on the 471T by any traditional/standard means. Acer needs to package a newer driver release for this laptop desperately. Doesn't matter what I do, this machine is plagued with constant GPU driver crashes, especially while browsing the web (browser choice doesn't matter). This is a WIDELY KNOWN issue with skylake laptops, and is largely solved by a driver update, but this can not be done without an Acer packacged driver release.

Running 5 months behind schedule on driver releases is not even reasonable. Shame on you Acer. If you want to be taken seriously get this done now.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25818/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-

Answers

• EricMarshall
    EricMarshall Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

For those of you not interested in waiting....

Use winrar to extract the exe to a folder, then follow these instructions: https://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558749190911446231/

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello everyone,

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads and is not responsible for them.

Acquiring files through such links is at the user’s own risk.

Thanks!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • RaymondVandervort
    RaymondVandervort Member Posts: 1 New User
    this download acer site listed above provides no solution, no driver, simply points to a windows update requirement. As already posted by another user, a driver listing a matching gpu and cpu is available on intel site, but the custom driver by acer blocks the update, even if admin privileges are used.  So Acer, is it that hard for you to test this driver and help us out?????? or should I throw my 4 acer products down scale and when buying new keep this support in mind? Your direct reply - and knowing you are a acer employee is desired. You may direct it to ray@vrr.onmicrosoft.com.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I personally never use or have used the Acer driver download page, except for updating BIOS. You can look for the driver manually, plus the drivers that Acer uploads on their page are customised for the particular model, so you can't expect a new customised driver from Acer everytime a company releases a new driver. With so many different laptops it is just too much.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017