R5-471T-52EE USB C output support a "3rd" monitor? Also... Ethernet discrepancy in specifications?

EricMarshall
EricMarshall Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hello Acer support community,

I understand that HD520 should support up to 3 monitors as long as the socket is electronically mapped to 3 physical outputs. 

I would like to know if the USB C port on this laptop is mapped to support a "3rd" monitor. (for example, using a monitor connected to the HDMI port, another connected to the USB-C port, and the built in monitor at the same time.). If so, does USB-C carry both legacy digital video and display-port native signals, or just displayport-native? I'm seeing lots of USB-C to HDMI and DVI adapters on the market but I'm not clear on whether they would work with this machine specifically, and whether they are active or passive in nature. 

-------

The specification pages for this laptop at bestbuy.com and acer.com both claim that this machine has an ethernet port. Unless it is hiding somewhere, I can not find it anywhere on this machine... Might want to revise your specifications. 

--------

Thank You,

Eric

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I use a Targus dock & Displaylink drivers to provide signal to two monitors from the USB 3.0 port and can send to a third with the HDMI (not counting the R5 display) so could be four. Mediasonic also has a good dual display dock (have to be careful some docks advertise HDMI OR VGA. A true dual display dock will support simultaneus displays).

Without an external adapter of some sort I do not know of a way to support three monitors with different displays.

The manual seems to be a cut'n'paste from a R3 that does have a RJ-45 jack, the R5 doesn't.

(but both of my docks have gigabit ethernet jacks & have seen over 80MB/s at home.)

• EricMarshall

Tinkerer

Hi Padget,

I'm under the impression that the Targus unit is basically an external video card that interfaces over USB 3.0 with the machine. This runs it's own separate video driver, and does not get a video signal from Intel HD video. Is that correct?

I am not interested in a solution that adds additional active video hardware or drivers to the system, nor a system that uses a traditional USB to video solution (which are resource intensive as they host a virtual monitor then compress and stream video data to the USB device which then uses a fixed function decoder to decompress and then display the video stream). I just want to connect 2 monitors to the laptop and have them all directly accelerated by intel HD video (in this case HD520), 1 via HDMI, 1 via USB C. The "3rd" monitor is the built-in (already connected via internal eDP connectivity). 

This may be a confusing request if you're not familiar with USB C's specification. This port supports video connections, just like a displayport (NOT LIKE A USB 3.0 TO MONITOR DEVICE). I'm trying to get clarification on whether the video capabilities of USB C are indeed enabled on this specific Acer device. 

• padgett

As I said, you will need an adapter possibly like this. However I do not know if the R5 supports it (have R5 here, haven't tried & do not have an adapter. I use docks for multiple displays.

• EricMarshall

Tinkerer

Right, those are the adapters I was talking about in my first post here. I just don't want to have the company order a few adapters for me and a pair of monitors to build a workstation out of, then come to find out they aren't going to do me any good. 

• padgett

Only mention I see in the specs is USB 3.0 (not 3.1 and no mention of "C"). I did see mention of one in the R9 series.

• EricMarshall

Tinkerer

Interfaces/Ports
    HDMIYes
    Number of USB 2.0 Ports1
    Number of USB 3.0 Ports2
    Total Number of USB Ports4
    USB Connector TypeType-C
    Network (RJ-45)Yes

Copy pasted right from the specification page... Obviously, the RJ-45 is wrong, but I actually have this laptop in front of me right now. It absolutely does have a USB C port.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

R5-471T-71W2 has 3.1 C type USB and obvious not RJ-45

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett

So we are back to a definate maybe. Guess someone just needs to try it.

• EricMarshall

Tinkerer

I called Acer tech support to ask this question. Waste of time. Doesn't inspire much confidence.... I don't even think that they understood the question... "Does the USB C port on this laptop (gave SSID) support displayport alternate mode?" ... I tried asking the question a few different ways. I heard the lady frantically typing on her keyboard, delay delay.... then disconnect. I'm assuming that hanging up on me was their way of saying "we don't know the answer."

In any case, I ordered a USB C to DVI adapter from amazon. It will be here soon. I'll find out for myself.... 

The machine specifications should clearly indicate this sort of functionality or lack thereof. Acer culd tack on another $100-200 to the cost of this machine if they were more competative in terms of support/specifications.

• padgett

Sad to say Acer is more of an assembler/integrator and appears to do littles little inhouse design other than the cases.

Best thing is to see if you can find the manufacturer of the USB reader (I'd look in MSINFO32 under the "components" tab on the right side but not sure how it would be listed. )

• EricMarshall

Tinkerer

If anyone cares... The answer is no. The USB C port on this laptop does not support displayport alternate mode. At least, not with the adapter I tried.

• Member Posts: 2 New User

I care.

What was the final answer on the ethernet port? No wired connectivity to a router? Another Acer ooooops?