Laptop HD fail

blkskull
blkskull Member Posts: 2 New User

I purchased a refurbished Acer R3-471t laptop with Win 10 from New Egg in May and 5 days after their 30 day warranty expired the hard drive faile and I am unable to boot. Acer told me the laptop was no longer under warranty even though I had only had it for less than 2 months. Wow what a scam. They said for $200 they could have someone log in over the internet and fix it, not sure how they would do that if the brick won't even boot. So my question here is if I replace the hard drive how do U get the operating system installed when they don't supply a key?

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020

Hello,

The license key is stored in the bios. It will be read/recognize when you will install Windows 10.

If you didn't create the factory recovery media, you can buy it from your Acer store.

France
  • blkskull
    blkskull Member Posts: 2 New User

I wasn't able to create the restore media, I tried several times and it failed each time.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

"Create the recovery media" is the first thing to do when you have a new computer. Probably your HDD was already defective when you tried.  Then I gave you the right link.

France