Aspire S3-951 getting hot after new Windows 7 + SSD installation

kroeliebuschie
kroeliebuschie Member Posts: 1 New User

After a clean windows 7 install my acer laptop was constantly running the fans and was getting really hot around the processor region. Also the processor was constantly running at 25% of its max capacity. I suspected that certain drivers where missing so I installed them with no result. Here are some more details:

I have a s3-951. I wanted to upgrade the hdd to an 250 GB Samsung V-NAND SSD 850 EVO.
I also wanted to install Windows 7 Enterprise N on this drive. I mounted the drive and installed Windows 7, then I went to the Acer support site to download all the required drivers for my machine. I used the BIOS upgrade from the Acer website for my machine and tried to run SSDFirmware_Micro_1.0.0.1 utility (also from the acer website) but it crashed. So I went to this acer website and used that SSD upgrade instead which installed successfully. Unfortunately still no result. The ultrabook is still getting hot, I still suspect driver issues or power settings being incorrect, I remounted the old HDD with the old windows 7 which works fine.

Any ideas what might be wrong.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

The SSD will probably be fine with the old Windows  7 too.

There seems to be a problem with one or more Acer drivers with the Windows 7 Enterprise N. To make it get hot like that it has to be something with the Processor.

Since Windows 7 Enterprise N isn't the Windows that the laptop is supposed to run, you might want to see if Intel has a better driver

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

and if it will cooperate with the rest of the components in the laptop. I have a feeling you're not going to be able to run the Enterprise N.