X34 not overclocking to 100Hz.

Talyn856
Talyn856 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Steps to duplicate problem:

1. Overclock X34 Predator in OSD to 100Hz.  Confirm, apply, monitor auto-reboots.
2. Open NVIDIA Control Panel as instructed.  Click "Change resolution".  Navigate to "Refresh rate:", which displays 60Hz.  Click dropdown menu, click 100Hz, click Apply.  Monitor goes black for 20-30 seconds, desktop reappears, 60Hz is the active refresh rate.  Monitor's framecounter in upper right corner confirms this.
3. Right click desktop, click "Display settings", navigate to and click "Advanced display settings", navigate to and click "Display adapter properties", click "Monitor" tab, "Screen refresh rate: 60 Hertz."  Click dropdown menu, click 100 Hertz, click Apply.  Monitor goes black, desktop reappears, 60Hz is the active refresh rate.  Monitor's framecounter in upper right corner confirms this.
4. Scratch head, swear, go outside to smoke and scratch head, return to computer.
5. Have an idea.
6. Open NVIDIA Control Panel.   Click "Change resolution".  Navigate to "Refresh rate:", which displays 60Hz.  Click dropdown menu, click 95Hz, click Apply.  Monitor goes black for significantly fewer seconds, desktop reappears, 95Hz is the active refresh rate.  Monitor's framecounter in upper right corner confirms this.

Anything I can do to bump it up to 100Hz, or did I just get one of the units that only almost overclocks to 100Hz?  I'm not particularly eager to RMA over 5 Hz, but it is advertised as overclockable to 100Hz.  Triple digit framerates make my computer feel better about the size of its chip.

Answers

• S1mplicity
    S1mplicity Member Posts: 24 New User
    Mine does the same not unusual with these panels, starting to see a number os Asus ones doing the same. Just unlucky like me but not worth an RMA in my opinion if everything else is good. I'm going to try a different DP cable but I don't expect it to make any difference.
  • Talyn856

Not sure if I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's having this problem, but it's a bit of a relief if nothing else.

Funny how that works.  If I saw even one dead/stuck pixel or some amount of backlight bleed I found even remotely unacceptable, I'd RMA in a heartbeat.  5 frames... meh.

TY4 the prompt reply.

• dpeagle
    dpeagle Member Posts: 25 New User

95hz is actually pretty good. many of the x34s will only do 90hz. this has been a topic of discussion since last summer. acer does not guarantee 100hz, just that this model can be oc up to 100hz. this is one of the reasons they call it the x34 lottery. if this is your only issue with the monitor, you got a good one. (added) also i read somewhere that your gpu might have an effect on the maximum refresh rate you can get with this model.

• ominous11
    ominous11 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I figured Iwould ask here instead of making a new thread but I'm getting my x34 tomororw and I was wondering how will I be able to tell if 100hz works or not or if I should use 90 or 95 ?

• Talyn856

ominous11 wrote:

I figured Iwould ask here instead of making a new thread but I'm getting my x34 tomororw and I was wondering how will I be able to tell if 100hz works or not or if I should use 90 or 95 ?

When you get it hooked up, go into the OSD and enable the built in frame-counter, then overclock refresh rate in the OSD to 100Hz.  You'll be instructed to open NVIDIA Control Panel and change the refresh rate.  Do that, click Change resolution, find the refresh rate dropdown menu and click 100Hz.  Click Apply.  Monitor will go black.  If 100Hz works on your monitor, the frame-counter will say 100.  If it doesn't, it should default back to 60.

If it doesn't work at 100, try going down incrementally until you find a refresh rate that works.

• ominous11

Tinkerer

OK so I followed your steps and in the upper right hand corner the refresh rate number sits at 100 ( in yellow writing ) so as long as it says that, then this monitor supports 100hz ?

• S1mplicity

@ Talyn 856

Neither Acer or Asus guarantee the 100Hz, read both manuals and it is clear in both.

On the Asus forum there is a guy had both and went with X34 because it was better overall his Asus only got 90Hz and backlight bleed was worse he got lucky with monitor lottery on the x34, 100Hz with low bleed/IPS glow.

Like you say 5Hz meh, it's a brilliant monitor once you get used to IPS glow if you came from a TN panel like I did.

Unfortunately with all the bad early reports it makes you look for every last fault, I stopped and just started using it and boy do I love it now.

• S1mplicity

@ ominous11

You lucky so and so, should do the lottery now

• ominous11

Tinkerer

Sarcasm ?

• Talyn856

ominous11 wrote:

OK so I followed your steps and in the upper right hand corner the refresh rate number sits at 100 ( in yellow writing ) so as long as it says that, then this monitor supports 100hz ?

Yep, if the frame-counter says 100 then it's running at 100Hz.

• ominous11

Tinkerer

Talyn856 wrote:

ominous11 wrote:

Yep, if the frame-counter says 100 then it's running at 100Hz.

Thanks for clairifying ! I'm not tech savey so I figured I would ask Smiley Happy

• S1mplicity
    No not sarcasm if anything jealousy, that you got 100Hz ????
  • randomhat
    randomhat Member Posts: 1 New User

ive owned a x34 for over a year and its been running at 100hz and been awesome

but this week i had to turn it down to 95hz,it woudlnt boot properly,thought it was the cable,changed that,re installed nvidia software.spent ages trying to figure it out.but soon as i turned it down,it boots up every time now

hope it doesnt keep going down with age though ;(