Predator XB1 not showing 144hz?

pRogz
pRogz Member Posts: 10 New User

Hello all,

I just got my Predator XB1 in the mail, and for whatever reason it does not show the ability to use 144hz.

Some background information:

Intel i7-4790k 4.0ghz

8gb ram

windows 10 64 bit

video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741

Cable: I am using the DisplayPort cable provided by the box of the monitor.

Spoke to Acer on the phone, and they have no idea. Speaking with Nvidia on the phone and they can't seem to figure it out so far. Anyone else having this problem?

edit: Here is some helpful screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/Cygje

edit: I also have this monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-inch-Ergonomic-Back-lit/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454976994&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+144hz which will run 144hz on my video card and computer just fine. I also have this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH2Z36445 and it runs 144hz just fine. These both monitors work through DVI!

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

It appears that the GTX 770 max Pixel Clock speed (530mhz) is not fast enough to run the required 587mhz on the XB217HU at 144hz. For reference the Pixel Clock requirements of the XB271HU at 2560x1440@120hz is 497.75mhz.

Answers

• dpeagle
    dpeagle Member Posts: 25 New User

have you installed the xb1 monitor drivers? and if so, when you go to your device manager / monitors, does it show up? i could not get my x34 drivers to install on my first try. i had to disable driver sig enforcement before it would install properly.

• pRogz

Where can I locate the xb1 monitor drivers? I tried searching the Acer website and didn't find them the last time I looked.

• pRogz

When I tried installing them it said the latest was already installed and showed my video card. Is that correct? Can you explain how would I install this driver?

• dpeagle

go to your device manager. click on monitors. if you dont see the acer model but rather generic pnp monitor then you dont have the acer drivers installed. you will need to go into windows 10 safe mode. click on troubleshoot, click on advanced options, click on startup settings, then hit restart. you will then be greeted by options. hit F7 (disable driver signature enforcement). your computer will restart. then try to download the driver for your acer.

• pRogz

I understand windows 10 safe mode, but troubleshoot? I dont mean to be annoying, but can you be more detail in your steps? Not sure what you mean by the troubleshoot step.

• dpeagle

when you go into windows 10 safe mode i believe you have 2 options. one of them is troubleshoot. windows 10 safe mode is nothing like previous versions of windows. you need to enter troubleshoot screen to get to your startup setrtings.

• pRogz

I got it installed without going into safe mode. It shows now in the device manager:

(imgur wasn't accpeting the upload for some reaosn, so I uploaded to another site)

http://postimg.org/image/a65vmmn2f/full/

After doing this 144hz was not enabled. But I still need to restart to see if it actually effected anything.

• dpeagle

i just realized i may not have been exactly clear about "entering safe mode". you are not actually going into safe mode to disable driver sig enforcement. step by step would be. go to your start up icon , click on power options, click restart and at the same time click the shift key. you will have i believe 3 options. from their click troubleshoot, then advanced options, then startup settings, then hit restart. on the next screen hit F7 to disable driver signature enforcement , then after restart install the acer drivers.

• pRogz

I was able to install the monitor drivers and seen it in the device manger, but this did not fix the problem. Maybe someone from Acer can look into this more.

• Cory-Acer

I think it might have something to do with your video card. The GTX 770 just wasn't designed to drive 1440p on to of 144hz. I would be curious, if you set your resolution to 1920x1080, do you then get the option to go upto 144hz on the XB1?

Cory

• pRogz

So no, actually I cannot do 1080p at 144hz. The max I can do is still only 120hz. But I was able to do that with the two other monitors I currently own.

• Cory-Acer

Fair enough...It's strange, and I'd still bet heavily on it not being the monitor (they just don't fail like this). I actually ordered a XB271HU today and should have it tomorrow to try out. I've got a very similiar setup to you except I'm running a 980ti.

I'll see what I can find tomorrow when I'm back in the office and tomorrow evening when I get home. I'll see if I run into any of the same issues myself.

Out of curiousity, are you running on dual monitors (or more)?

Cory

• Cory-Acer

Also, can you add a custom resolution through NVCP for 2560x1440 @ 144hz and see how that behaves?

• pRogz

I'm only running one monitor. I can't even create a custom resolution when this monitor is plugged in.

Once I plug any of my other monitors it works just fine.

There is something with this monitor that doesn't allow me to do certain things including running at anything above 120hz, and creating custom resolutions.

I have done all these things on monitors that were plugged into this same PC and video card before buying this monitor. Once this was connected, I was restricted of doing these activites with this video card. Its like I'm being forced into running at least a 900 series nvidia card.

• dpeagle

you might try the monitor on another pc, with another dp cable. i have heard of issues with the supplied dp cable. just make sure the dp cable is certified. many are not

• Cory-Acer

My XB271HU arrived today and I'll set it up later this afternoon. I hope it's not the DP port, especially ours, but I don't see how it could be if his other monitors are allowing 144hz.

Cory

• dpeagle

yeh, 144hz, but they are 1080p monitors.

• Cory-Acer

I did some reviewing and I don't believe the the 760 or 770 will support 144hz on that monitor. I'm asking to see if we can clearly state that it is the video card that is preventing it, but here is what I've found so far that are very similiar.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3cac65/troubleshooting_why_cant_i_select_144hz_for_my/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3whpt9/gtx_770_and_acer_xg270hu_not_getting_to_144hz/

Cory

• dpeagle

i think your correct. thats why i wanted him to try it on a computer with a more powerful gpu.