Colour banding XB281HK

Guggsy43
Guggsy43 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi all can anyone help to tell me if this is a problem with my monitor or graphics card or is it normal.

I recently purchased a predator Xb281HK 4K monitor and i have noticed colour banding, when watching movies.

I am running it on a Geforce 660 graphics card.  Has anyone one else had the same problems with their monitor, or is it a setting i need to get right. Or is it normal to have colour banding on these monitors. Can anyone advise me please.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Make sure the display resolution is set at HDMI:3840x2160 @30Hz or via DP:3840x2160 @60Hz. If you have the correct display resolution then there should be no color banding. It might be a good idea to have it checked by Acer repair to make sure it is functioning as it should. Please contact Acer support for assistance from this link:

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

• Guggsy43

4K Colour banding 4K video.jpgColour Banding 1 Backdraft.jpgHi thank you for your reply. I do have it set to 3840x2160 connected via display port to a Nvidia geforce 660 Graphics card.

I mainly notice the color banding on video. On games it is fine.

I have tried to watch some 4k test videos on youtube where I notice the color banding,

There is some color banding 4k pictures but you really have to look to notice it. 

I did some research in, TN panels which this monitor is, and IPS, obvoiusly IPS panels are better for video and pictures, so i am assuming there is less color banding on them compared to a TN panel.

I brought this monitor from amazon on the 20th January I have heard there was a firmware updates, to help with color banding, i just wanted to know if this monitor had the latest firmware installed also. Is there anyway of checking.

I have inserted 2 screen capture  video images above. The first picture is from a 4K test video from youtube where i noticed color banding, and the second is the end credit capture from the movie backdraft not 4k but still there is color banding around the writing.

• Enamon
    Enamon Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the exact same issue. Did you find the firmware or any solution? Thx 

• Guggsy43

Hi mate unfortunatly no. I think it is down to the monitor. If you play games on it, it is fine. but for video's it is very poor. definatly not worth £499 I paid for it.

• Enamon
    Enamon Member Posts: 2 New User

Again, same issue for me. 

I'm so disapointed by this monitor. If I knew I'd never buy one of these. 

First when I noticed the problem, I sent it back to the store where I bought it. They gave me a brand new one, but same model. Now? Exactly the same issue with color banding. Even my old macbook pro give a better quality.

So today I resent the monitor to the shop and they sent it to be repaired. I have no hope this problem can be fixed, it's a waste of time. I just want to be refund and getting another model... 

• Guggsy43

Hi mate let me know if you have any luck.

I have recently connected my Xbox one to my monitor, My LG plasma 1080p television has better picture quality than this crappy Acer monitor.  I have contacted acer many times, they want me to send it in so they can check it. But i don't think it will make a difference. Please let me know though when you get yours back, if it has made any difference. Then i may consider sending mine back, because seriously watching movies on this monitor, when you notice the color banding, and i compare the picture on my LG TV, you can see how bad it really is. not worth £499