Acer Predator x34 displaying 1920x1080 over HDMI

jaychu
jaychu Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I don't know if anyone is having this issue but before, I had an LG 34-UC97 and I plugged my Dell XPS 13 into it via HDMI and a HDMI to mini display port adapter. During that time period, it would display 3440x1440 on the monitor just fine. 

However, I recently picked up the Acer Predator x34 and for whatever reason, it defaults to 1920x1080 and that is what is highlighted as recommended. I tried a different Laptop (Asus G51 JX-A1) and I found this to be a similar case. No matter what I tried, it would not go to 3440x1440 on the monitor. 

For reference, the reason I'm using HDMI is because my display port is plugged into my main rig, which displays 3440x1440 just fine. 

Does anyone know what seems to be the problem? Am I forgetting something?  

Answers

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon

It's probably because you have enabled the overclock on the monitor.  Your previous monitor would have worked fine with the HDMI + miniDP adapter because it was 3440x1440@60hz, but to run 3440x1440@100hz you HAVE to use a full DP cable because of the bandwidth requirement for the signal.

Try disabling the overclock on the monitor OSD so that it reverts back to 60hz and see if you can use your HDMI + miniDP adapter to get 3440x1440@60hz. 

It's all about cable bandwidths.

In your case where it seems you're trying to use DP on your main rig to run 3440x1440@100hz, and then an HDMI on your laptop alongside it to switch to the laptop on the monitor, you are going to run into problems because you'll have to keep turning on and off the overclocked refresh rate on the monitor.  I'm not sure if there's a way to overcome this without getting a laptop that has a DP output and using a KVM switch.