problem installing windows 10 anniversary update (upset by acer support....)

darkmanticora
darkmanticora Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello there,

I bought my G9-792 this summer, and i am trying to install the anniversary update from windows 10 but if i go to windows update i am stuck on 1511, and if i try to do it manually by dowloading the microsoft tools in the middle of the installation of anniversary update it stop reboot and tell me that it goes back on my previous windows 10 version .... (once i had a windows error message that seems to be a driver compatibility issues).

I used my recovery USB to reinstall a clean Acer labeled version, but it is the same except i don't have anymore error message from windows. It just rebooting and putting me back on the previous 1511 version.

I called the Acer support that told me Predator laptop are not on the compatibility list ....

This is just crazy how a high end laptop for gaming don't get support from acer to make it compatible ?

I really don't know what to do and i need the 1607 update to be able to install games (GOW4) from the windows store....

Anyone have been able to find a solution ?

FOr now i am really disapointed by acer, and will surely go back to Asus when i can.

THanks a lot for your help.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i can give you a workaround...since you already did the Acer recovery USB media, you can try to do a windows 10 anniversary clean installation, just delete any partition on your system SSD/HDD and boot from the windows anniversary USB installation media.

i know you have to re-install everything, so it's just a workaround.

or you need to find which driver is giving issues on updating.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • darkmanticora

But the guy from Acer support told me that my license key of windows will not be recognize if i do a clean install without Acer software :x

How to remove any partition from my SSD ?

And how to get the USB windows anniversary version ?

If it works, and at a later time want to reinstall Acer version of windows, i will be able to use my recovery USB (as i will have erase all partition etc...)

• IronFly

1) your license will work on anniversary update clean install

2) you can remove the SSD partition from Windows 10 installation, just choose to do a custom installation and then delete any partition

3) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

4) you can always use your Acer version of windows to revert to factory (the only differences from the stock windows 10, are integrated drivers (that windows update will install automatically, once connected) and some Acer software that you can download from the support website.

http://www.acer.com/ac/fr/FR/content/support-product/6644;-;Predator%20G9-792

just click on Application tab

• darkmanticora

THanks a lot !

You are really nice !

You know what, after i reinstalled (for the 3rd time) the acer version this morning (just before you answered me), i tried to switch directly to anniversary version without letting windows do the small 1511 version and it seems that it worked as i completed to anniversary manual upgrade !

• IronFly

Good to hear it. Smiley Very Happy

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,042 Trailblazer

Hi darkmanticora,

For information, did you have a native technician from your country? Smiley Happy

France