Wifi is short range and short connection Predator PH317-51-70A1 and qualcomm atheros QCA61x4A

busted33
busted33 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I just bought this laptop and the wifi range is very poor and intermittent. I have nother laptop I use for work (Dell) which has been working fine and still does. I have the 12.0.0.309 driver and hve uninstalled and reinstalled and this does nothing. I have changed my power settings for my wireless card to maximum performance and still no change. The computer is only a couple weeks old and I am already considering to return it.

Has anyone else experienced this on their machine? It seems there are a lot of issues with this card in the past so I am curious why there are still on going issues with this.

Thank you in advance

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Update your BIOS to the latest version and download the latest killer suite from killernetwork's websitem
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• busted33

Thank you for the response. I have already updated my bios. My question is in regards to the killer network driver suite you recommended. I stated in my title that I have a Qualcomm Atheros wireless card. Is it still possible to use the killer drivers with this card? If so Ill give it a try

• busted33

Well i downloaded the 64 bit Killer driver suiter and when I trie to install it it came up with an error that no compatible hardware was found and would not finish the install. I really looks like a compatibility issue with this wireless card and windows 10. There dioesnt seem to be a driver available to address this. Anymore suggestions? And for the record I am running the latest bios 1.09 and latest bluetooth driver. Maybe one more piece of the puzzle I discovered. If I walk more than 6 feet from the router I loose wifi connection and my bluetooth mouse becomes errstic in its behaviour (almost like it is out of range). Not sure if this opens up and new suggestions but thank you for the support.

• ven98
    Sorry my bad. I thought that because it is a predator it has the killer card, I just checked and it doesn't have it. I will know from now on. Update your qualcomm driver and everything there is to update.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Last thing you can try after you make sure the drivers are updated to latest version is to do a battery reset. Stick a paper clip or something equally thin into the battery reset pinhole. The device should not be connected to charger. Leave it for 10minutes and then press the power button continuously for 30seconds. I don't have helios 300, so I can't tell you whether this is normal or not.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• busted33

Well due to no suppport from Acer tech on my issue and others I have read on here I have decided to return this and buy a Dell. Yep, Dell >>> Acer and their crappy support and products. It really sucks that I went through all this trouble with absolutely no support on this. I would think a company would do some basic black box testing on their hardware/software to find these basic issues but not this company.

[inappropriate content removed]

• ven98
    You do understand that from 10000 devices they can't check and diagnose every single one. They make a production round of 200 devices for example. Then from these 200 they pick only 1 to test, assuming that if this one works then the other 199 will work also as they are made at the same time by the same people.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• busted33

I understand completely the concept of validation as I am an Electronics Engineering Manager responsible for design, validation and shipping of 10's of millions of products every year to the automotive industry. If we have more than 6ppm failures we are fined $1M's. We also ensure that if something is discovered as wrong that we at least send an alert to our customers and make them awaer that a solution is coming. 

It is apparent that Acer has had a significant amount of complaints with the wireless cards acting up including the previous card made by Killer. In thelatest Qualcomm driver on their site it doesnt even list Windows 10 as a option for installing in the compatibility mode. THE DRIVERS DO NOT APPEAR TO BE READY!!

I started this whole process by calling the Acer 24/7 help line 3 different times with each time I spent more than 20 minutes waiting each time to get no answer. Not even a "we will take you number and call you back alter and you wont lose your place in line".

With that stated I came home from work early today so that I can take my new Predator equipment back to the store where I purchased it and will buy a Dell.

[edited to comply with guidelines]