Well I'm Back, Sadly. Slow Black Line steadily increasing... sigh. G9-793-741K

dairo1
dairo1 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello again Gents, Well A new problem has arisen. I have a horizontal black line that is slowly getting bigger... and bigger. Noticed it probably a week ago, I figured I'm probably screwed. I haven't uninstalled drivers or anything yet, but I have changed resolutions to quickly check, and yup, it's always there. I notice the spot is exactly where I rest my battery pack at night, I just put it on top of the laptop on a tv tray by my bed. I just can't see how a battery pack that's sitting on top of a closed computer could do this, but it is a possible culprit I assume, since I rarely ever turn her off. 

Just wondering if anyone has been through any of this awesome stuff before, or if anyone has any advice on where to start. I have no warranty, I bought it refurbished from Newegg, and I didn't get the warranty. 

Here's a pic. Like I said, it's getting bigger. Right above where it says CPUID you can see it.Right above where it says CPUID you can see it.

Answers

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
    I'm very sorry, but I'm still trying to understand this problem. What is getting bigger? Do you have a mouse plugged in? You have the same issue without the mouse?
  • dairo1

I'm sorry it's not a black line, it's white, do you see where it says cpuid, just a tad above you can see the horizontal white line. It's permanently on the screen, sometimes you can see it better than others depending on the colors. 

• dairo1

After looking really closely, I see the line goes across the entire screen. UGH.... I'm guessing the only way to fix this would be to get a new screen. This will be the last Acer I ever buy. 2 grand laptop with lines, cant play dota 2 without nearly hitting the tdp. Maybe it isn't always about the name stamped on the front, cause this engineering on these things ... Now I'm gonna have to live with a solid big line down my 5 month old laptop. 

Thanks for the quality Acer! 

Going MSI next laptop for sure. 

And I wrote a 5 egg review on this on newegg. Wish I could write another one. 

[inappropriate content removed]

• TomBrooklyn
    TomBrooklyn Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Welcome back.

• dairo1

Wish I never came back, that would mean my machine works PROPERLY. 

Man I'm so salty. Ended up messing with the gamma and resolution settings, and its somewhat better.

• dairo1

And you know what's funny? Man I through around my Nitro like it was nothing and it held up. Drunk as heck dropped it 20 times, pounded the **bleep** out of it out of anger because the mousepad was so bad. So the mousepad doesn't work, Ended up losing, numerous parts, screws, and the thing still ran like a champ. No hardware problems at all. 

This thing is a freaking disaster. I should have known when I seen this laptop on newegg going for 1800, and all others of the same hardware going for 2300 or so. I should have freaking known. I blame myself for not getting the warranty. Nothing worse than a freaking line in the middle of your screen, and nothing you can do about it, but fork over 500 more to fix the darn screen. 

Man I'm so **bleep**. 

[inappropriate content removed]

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Whatever the laptop is I never put anything on it, because you never know what might happen, especially when the back side of the lid is so unreasonably flexible.

On reviews I have read that they use fibre plastic which they say is as strong as aluminium, so I don't why would the back bend so easily like it is an ordinary plastic.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Why are you getting mad at the brand and machine? It is your mistake, you set something on top of the laptop and now somehow its Acer's fault for not building something that can handle abuse? While your other laptop stood up to much abuse it's not on Acer's back to provide you a machine that will live through whatever you throw at it. There's no guarantee a $2500 MSI will stand up to having a battery pack stood on its back, these are fragile electronic devices. Would you set a 30 rack of beer on top of a $2000 monitor? No because that is not it's design. Just take this as a lesson learned not to set things on top of fragile electronics. Also might you answer why exactly you set a battery pack on top of your laptop is there no better place to store it?

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• dairo1

It's a BATTERY PACK, not a 25 pound weight. The thing weighs less than a pound, and isn't most likely the reason I'm getting this line to begin with. Don't sit here and TELL ME a 12 ounce battery is putting enough force on the screen that has PLASTIC FEET on it to damage the screen. I've never even set this computer down hard before, let alone abuse it AT ALL like I did the Nitro. I just used it as and example. 

I'm gonna try and get rid of this thing on craigslist while I still can and recoup something, and invest in a better manufacturer. This is BULL, the temp issues, the screen tearing. Heck looking around reading these threads. These are first year new engineered laptops, I should have went with a more reputable company with more time and R&D into their products to begin with, and that was my mistake.

Like they say, You Get What You Pay For. And darn if that isn't true. 

• dairo1

And yes I'll tell you why. Another reason why these laptops suck is the power chord gets so flimsly, so quickly. I literally had to glue my nitro connector into the laptops power outlet so it would stay in. Another great Acer feature btw. 

By setting the battery pack on top, (not even a pound), it put less stress on the chord itself, so hopefully I wouldn't have to deal with that great problem down the road. Also it was ease of access to grab from my bed so I didn't have to grab the battery off the floor. 

Nobody comes here because things are working well. 

• Flx

Okay then why were you sitting here complaining so much about putting the battery pack on top if it had nothing to do with the line? Your reasoning is illogical. You specifically stated "I notice the spot is exactly where I rest my battery pack at night". So now I am wrong, it isn't the battery pack? What are you even talking about. And yes I am positive if you go read your Owner's manual it will specifically tell you to not place anything on top of the laptop while the lid is closed. Every laptop i've owned says this. User error.

A 12 ounce battery IS enough, that is almost a pound actually. Turn a regular monitor facing screen up and put a 1 pound weight on it, do you think there won't be any damage over time? Of course its a screen made to display an image not something to support weight.

You set something on your laptop, it got messed up. Deal with it.

• Kathy-1
    Kathy-1 Member Posts: 167 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Hi all,  I just wanted to give a quick reminder to please keep it civil while posting here.  Let's keep the discussion to the topic at hand and not get personal.  Remember from the ACUA "Be respectful, courteous and polite".

Thanks for understanding!

• dairo1

Sure you don't. 

I refuse to believe I'm the only one with this problem, or who puts their battery pack on their laptop at night. It is absurd to think this is the reason why. There is just no possible way they could engineer something like this so badly, that it couldn't support a small battery pack. Heck cats sleep on laptops, and you don't hear about this. I was just throwing out and idea because I have no clue what could have caused this. It is manufacturer error. It was a refurb, and now it's showing its true colors. 

I'm angry because I spent 2000 dollars on something that was meant to be solid, you don't throw 2 grand on a laptop to have headaches like this. You spend 200 dollars and a garbage hp and expect this to happen, not a 2 grand gaming laptop.

• Flx

dairo1 wrote:

Sure you don't. 

I refuse to believe I'm the only one with this problem, or who puts their battery pack on their laptop at night. It is absurd to think this is the reason why. There is just no possible way they could engineer something like this so badly, that it couldn't support a small battery pack. Heck cats sleep on laptops, and you don't hear about this. I was just throwing out and idea because I have no clue what could have caused this. It is manufacturer error. It was a refurb, and now it's showing its true colors. 

I'm angry because I spent 2000 dollars on something that was meant to be solid, you don't throw 2 grand on a laptop to have headaches like this. You spend 200 dollars and a garbage hp and expect this to happen, not a 2 grand gaming laptop.

So anyone that says anything contrary to what you type works for Acer? Just because you don't like what I am saying lol. I don't work for Acer or I'd have a nice shiny flair like the people that DO work for Acer have.

I think you may be wrong, go read your owner's manual. I am positive every laptop manufacturer will tell you to not place anything on top of the lid while it is closed. I think there is more than a reasonable possiblity that you setting your brick on top of the laptop is the cause, it just so happens to be the line is where you place the pack? Also what kind of laptop do you have? My power brick definitely weighs more than 12 ounces maybe like 1-2 pounds. Its a lot of weight to put on a screen that is just made for displaying pictures. I mean look how thin the top lid of the laptop is. Why would you think it can support any amount of weight? I don't know about the cat thing i've never had mine sleep on top of one before.

I understand you are angry and upset about spending 2k on a laptop and having this issue, that is why you buy new or get a warranty. In ANY sort of electronic or mass manufactured item there will be a level of defects that will happen it's just the way life is man.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It doesn't matter what is the mass of the object but how dense it is as it pushes with more force on a single point.

Electronics are not devices that to be used as a supporting tool/object to place things on top of it. You can't expect from a gaming laptop to have good chassis and to add Acer predator's chassis a solid, as I find no flex in the keyboard or any place, except the back of the lid, which every laptop has. This is probably the weakest part.

The issues of Acer Predator are not much: Thermal paste quality(other laptops have bad quality thermal paste too but not as bad, its not only this one), Dolby Audio turning off and coil whine(other laptops have it too). The built quality is excellent and the keyboard and track pad are excellent too. There are more laptops with same features but the keyboard and track pad are not as good. For a $2000 laptop you get the features of a $2500 laptop is enough to make you buy it. Just to add this laptop is one of the best looking on the market. Sometimes people look for that.

It is from quality what Acer has saved in order to make the laptop cheaper. It is: not unlocked bios, Predator Sense with limited features and bad support(not updating the drivers in Acer website).

Your laptop is not in warranty, so why don't you change the thermal paste with a best quality one like Arctic MX-4 and thermal grizzly kryonaut. The temperatures from 100C will drop to 80C max and then undervolting will drop the temps down even further.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx

ven98 wrote:
    It doesn't matter what is the mass of the object but how dense it is as it pushes with more force on a single point.

Electronics are not devices that to be used as a supporting tool/object to place things on top of it. You can't expect from a gaming laptop to have good chassis and to add Acer predator's chassis a solid, as I find no flex in the keyboard or any place, except the back of the lid, which every laptop has. This is probably the weakest part.

The issues of Acer Predator are not much: Thermal paste quality(other laptops have bad quality thermal paste too but not as bad, its not only this one), Dolby Audio turning off and coil whine(other laptops have it too). The built quality is excellent and the keyboard and track pad are excellent too. There are more laptops with same features but the keyboard and track pad are not as good. For a $2000 laptop you get the features of a $2500 laptop is enough to make you buy it. Just to add this laptop is one of the best looking on the market. Sometimes people look for that.

It is from quality what Acer has saved in order to make the laptop cheaper. It is: not unlocked bios, Predator Sense with limited features and bad support(not updating the drivers in Acer website).

Your laptop is not in warranty, so why don't you change the thermal paste with a best quality one like Arctic MX-4 and thermal grizzly kryonaut. The temperatures from 100C will drop to 80C max and then undervolting will drop the temps down even further.

Great post, couldn't have said it better myself. Also one thing just hit my mind, doesn't Acer offer a 90 day warranty with their refurbished items? You could still look into that if it hasn't been past 90 days.

• TomBrooklyn

Tinkerer

How much better is it now after adjusting the settings?

Before laptops, all the CRT screens we used had two horizontal wires behind the glass that were usually visible if you looked close. 

• dairo1

It sucks, just reverted back to stock settings. I may try again later, just don't care right now. I just gotta live with it. It's not noticeable while watching shows, movies or gaming, but you can see it while browsing the web and stuff. It is what it is.

• TomBrooklyn

Tinkerer

The force an object exerts downward in a gravitational field is a function of it's mass.   It's density does not affect the amount of force, but it could affect the pressure, insofar as the body's size and in turn the amount of contact area to the laptop.   That would determine the pressure, or force divided by the area the force was applied over.   This is often measured in pounds per square inch (psi.)   

High levels of pressure can be created by a relatively small force if the contact area is very small, such as a knifeblade or hyperdermic needle.   In this case, the laptop would require puncture resistance; but a charging brick is not sharp and does not create substantial pressure. 

Further, while I wouldn't generally recommend storing objects on top of a closed laptop, the relatively light weight of a battery brick ought to be inconsequential.   Even flimsey laptops that are designed for mobility are built to resist at least a light blunt force against it's cover.   They are meant to be carried in backpacks and briefcases along with books and files and such, and they need to resist consequent squeezing forces.

A gaming laptop, however, may not be designed to be carried as luggage, and may have exceedingly flimsey cover for all I know.

I wonder, also, if there is some kind of electromagnetic field emitted from the battery charging brick that could affect the monitor's electrochemistry when placed in close proximity to it over an extended period of time.    It would seem unlikely that such an effect would occur in a very thin straight line, exactly horizontal, so we can rule that out.

Therefore, we can conclude the defect is likely not caused by resting the power supply brick on the laptop.

• dairo1

Thanks for the reasonable conclusion. I figured the same.