Sound volume goes down in mic-enabled apps

Options
vorob
vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

https://youtu.be/cQAJmadETyo

Already tried in Sound > Communications to set to Do nothing. No help. 

Driver re-installation didn't help.

Answers

• Rares95
    Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

I am getting this as well... no fix so far... tried disabling things, enabling other things. Doesn't work.

• Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I already made a new topic for everyone with discussions about these audio issues. you can check it out. me and steve are already discussing and trying multiple solutions, so i'm going to share them on your thread too, so we can fasten the fix getting to everyone's knowledge, as this info is rather scarce on the net.
    So here we go:

The first solution, and the one i recommend the most is to install your official drivers from Acer first. After this search for and install EqualizerAPO, in the configurator menu select both Speakers and Microphone, finish the install, reboot. Simple as that. If your sound volume is lower, check out the Editor in EqualizerAPO folder. You should have a preamplification knob there, and should be a couple of decibels lower. Raise it up to 0, or more, until your speakers start to distort on max volume. Save and close. The program will run alongside your driver all the time, you don't have to open it again ever if you don't want to make changes. Now your Dolby Audio won't turn off anymore when using VoIP software or games with that kind of integration. Please mind that EqualizerAPO might remove your Dolby panel, but Dolby will still remain active, you can check it out in Control Panel at Sounds.

The seconds fix is a bit trickier but also works. Make sure you have disabled Windows Update for the audio device, so it doesn't reinstall your drivers when removed. Now, uninstall your drivers and restart of course. Go to recovery at advanced startup and restart your computer with Driver Signature Verification DISABLED, very important. Search google and download the Realtek unlocked drivers with SRS Premium sound (v6.0.1.8036) and install allowing the unverified digital signature when prompted. Restart and enjoy. i found that these drivers have better audio fidelity and also fixes the issues with the microphone disabling Dolby and more.

Hope these help, please post back with some info if you tried these and how they helped you so we can know!

Cheers!

RARES DACA AI NEVOIE DE AJUTOR, DA-MI UN PM!
  • vorob
    Options

Wow, thx for such detailed answer. But i'll try to leave it to the end. From my point of view its a mess from Acer, and they should fix it. 

• Robitzik
    Options
    It is not their fault really, it is how Dolby works. It is a sound processor and it processes only output, that's why it gets disabled when mic is used, because mic is an input device and Dolby does not process it. Acer's only mistake here is using Dolby technology on gaming laptops. It's a no brainer when you think that gaming laptops are meant for competitive and social play, at least for me it was a huge downer when i saw my experience getting crippled when i needed most, as i use teamspeak a lot to coordinate with my teams and this issue is just not supposed to be there, simply put, Dolby should not be on a gaming laptop
  • Rares95
    Options

Thanks for the info about EqualizerAPO, didn't know about this app. It fixed the issue. It has nothing to do with the microphone-enabled apps or anything. Dolby seems to reduce the gain so that it can amplify the low-end frequencies without giving distorsions (crackles etc). Smiley Happy

Sucks that they don't provide a solution to dissable or enable this (toggle some bass boost setting or w/e)

• Robitzik
    Options
    in my case Dolby got turned off every single time i used an app or game that has VoIP integration. Practically every single time the mic is activated, Dolby is turned off. I tested it out by another scenario, like leaving music in the background and opening the sound settings, toggling the Communication tab where the microphone is and it automatically turned off Dolby and music was at a much lower volume. It isn't about any bass enhancement or distortion related thing. The volume leveler or as many know it by loudness enhancement or volume normalization is integrated into Dolby, that's why you experience the low volume when Dolby gets turned off by microphone utilization. It's a shame they did not leave this option in the Realtek control panel as Asus does, but maybe the Dolby leveler is better. Anyway glad i could help and i'm happy to know another user now has a full sound experience! I've used EqualizerAPO many times in the past, if you know how to configure the app, it can deliver amazing sound, especially with headphones, and you can even boost your microphone clarity and quality alot
  • Rares95
    Options

With the gain turned to 0, and without Dolby turned off, while listening music and entering a game where this occurs, the BASS of the music i'm listening to gets amplified now, instead of the volume dropping. That's what i've found out. Didn't turn Dolby off though.

• Robitzik
    Options
    Good, then it means everything is working as it should. Enjoy!
  • Rares95
    Options

Yup, thanks Smiley Happy

• Robitzik
    Options
    with pleasure! glad to help!
  • Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Tried this out and it does work, but not for all games, overwatch for example still turns off Dolby Audio. And using EqualizerAPO seems to lower mic volume, tried listening to my test call on skype, extremely low volume.

• Robitzik
    Options
    Nikolai, don't forget to open the Editor in EqualizerAPO folder and turn the preamplification knob higher. By default it sets it lower automatically at first as a speaker protection measure, for example i had a -6db value on the preamp so i turned it up to 0, meaning no volume loss. You can comfortably raise it more than that until your speakers start to distort on max volume but not more than that. Also that preamplification knob controls your microphone gain aswell, hence your lower microphone input volume. EqualizerAPO can be configured to separately control your speakers and microphone, you can do awesome things with this little program, but that's for a bit more advanced users as it is a little complicated. I myself used this software to gain an immense quality improvement with the microphone. I intend to keep it simple because i want this to be a fix for the Dolby issue, a simple program installed and left there, not something overcomplicated. I'm waiting for your feedback to see how it worked out for you Nikolai. Cheers!
  • vorob
    Options

Well, for me it disables Dolby when i'm recording video via shadowplay.

• vorob
    Options

I'm headphones, without music: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3w01p5yv9hwjl8/nomusic.m4a?dl=0

With music: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdk2296blihcilp/withmusic.m4a?dl=0

When some other sound is playing, my voice is distorted, sounds like from toilet Smiley Happy

• Robitzik
    Options
    Please describe the exact scenario. are you using the dedicated mic port on the laptop for microphone? what predatorsense multimedia preset and dolby preset are you using? what headset model do you have?
  • ironside34
    ironside34 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    ok the equalizerapo utility works for desktop apps
    but the same issue with the volume is still there when i use a windows app like voice recorder in windows 10

• vorob
    Options
    I found a very weird solution, but it doesn't require any apps. You just press RMB on volume in the tray and select "recording devices". When you do so, Dolby thing is disabled, but you click RMB there and enable it back. With "recording devices" opened Dolby won't turn off if you open and voice apps or voice chat in games. 
  • Sash123
    Sash123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi everyone I have the problem with my trolley multimedia speaker. When i am going to play music in that wireless mic always suppress my music for few sec ,after that short interval it again raise the music so what may the problem, with the speaker or my phone.Please solve that. Even wire mic also face same problem when i am going to sing on Bluetooth connection.