Repasted, but no luck (Acer G9 593)

vorob
vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

So I'm getting about 93C with no downvoltage on my laptop. I decided to repaste it. Here's what I've done: 

Bought this paste:

Opened my lappy:

Took my cooling system:

Cleaned everything:

Put some paste:

Aaaaand I actually started getting an even higher temperature. I read that repasting will help to get -20C, but I received +3C. What's going on?

Later i tried to put less paste and more paste, no change.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

When you buy a thermal paste, you should look for thermal conductivity. The higher a conductivity is, the better, because what you want is more heat transfer between the CPU/GPU and the copper pipe. Here is the thermal conductivity of your paste

Screenshot_2.pngThis is arctic mx-4.Screenshot_1.png

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98

8.5W/mK is more than twice. Arctic silver 5's thermal conductivity is 8.9W/mK. And I couldn't find anything about IC Diamond, but I guess it is the best thermal paste, because diamond conducts heat 5times better than silver. It is also important what is the amount of diamond in ic diamond. I will soon repaste my laptop and I will probably use mx-4 or silver 5

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• vorob

Where are you checking this values? Arctic Silver 5 is good? I can but it right now. MX4 is harder to find in Russia, buts if it's better I'll look into it. 

Ooops, you've already answered Smiley Happy

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Honestly i will never user silver paste since it's electricity conductive and can create shorts, silicone based thermal paste are more reliable.

i repasted a G9-791 and now the fans run much slower with better temperature, i used Cooler Master high performance Thermal compound kit.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ven98

mx-4 is carbon based and doesn't conduct electricity as well. About silver, yes it is electrical conductive, but if applied well, it won't damage anything. I will also use non-conductive paste.

After some research I found out the thermal conductivity of 'cooler master'. Minimum 3.5W/mK.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• vorob

Well, i used arctic silver 5 and still nothing close to -20C...

• ven98
    The best way to apply a thermal paste is to just put a little drop in the centre of the processor. It doesn't have to be a lot just a very tiny bit because the paste expands a bit after sometime of usage because of heat.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system