Predator Helios 300 reached 98c

superman1201
superman1201 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hey my laptop got up to 98 today while I was playing Attila Total War, which if you dont know is newish game. Anyway I was recording while playing and it was even plugged in. My question is is the 98c normal? I mean it still ran fine for the most part, it went between 25 and 30 fps when I zoomed into the fighting but Im used to that. 

Best Answer

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

superman1201 wrote:

It was my CPU. I have heard and read a lot about undervolting but have been worried that I might mess up and ruin the laptop. I've never performed anyting like that before on a notebook so I was a little hesitant. Also, does it degrde performce of the laptop? And in the ingame benchmark it does give me 60 fps but in a real game with 2000 moshpit of men it does go to the 30s sometimes upper 20s FPS.

No don't worry you can't do any damage and your performance will not take a hit! The only thing that can happen (Let me stress that there is very little chance of this happening, i've been undervolting for a month or two now with 0 issues as have many other people here) is that your PC will crash, but once you reboot it will be back to normal settings and you just have to lower the undervolt a little next time. Again this is not likely to happen and will not damage your laptop.

I would highly recommend giving undervolting a try. Most people use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel XTU), there is another program called Throttlestop that is supposed to be good but I don't have any personal experience with that. It's suggested to start with -0.100 (You want to look for something called 'Core Voltage Offset' if using Intel XTU) as a test and see how your laptop runs with that.

Answers

• Flx

Was it your CPU or GPU that got up to 98c? While still under the max of 100c, 98 is cause for concern. If your CPU is hitting 98c I would look into undervolting your CPU, you might have gotten a unit with a bad thermal paste job just FYI. The recommended specs for Total war aren't too demanding so I suspect you are getting thermal throttling, it seems you should be able to get 60fps at least.

• superman1201

It was my CPU. I have heard and read a lot about undervolting but have been worried that I might mess up and ruin the laptop. I've never performed anyting like that before on a notebook so I was a little hesitant. Also, does it degrde performce of the laptop? And in the ingame benchmark it does give me 60 fps but in a real game with 2000 moshpit of men it does go to the 30s sometimes upper 20s FPS.

• Flx
    Answer ✓

superman1201 wrote:

No don't worry you can't do any damage and your performance will not take a hit! The only thing that can happen (Let me stress that there is very little chance of this happening, i've been undervolting for a month or two now with 0 issues as have many other people here) is that your PC will crash, but once you reboot it will be back to normal settings and you just have to lower the undervolt a little next time. Again this is not likely to happen and will not damage your laptop.

I would highly recommend giving undervolting a try. Most people use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel XTU), there is another program called Throttlestop that is supposed to be good but I don't have any personal experience with that. It's suggested to start with -0.100 (You want to look for something called 'Core Voltage Offset' if using Intel XTU) as a test and see how your laptop runs with that.

• superman1201
    Okay then I will defiantly try it out and reply how it goes, Thanks again for helping out!
  • Flx

Yep no prob feel free to ask if you have any questions, hope it works out for you

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    98C is pretty high, considering that the CPU begins to throttle when it reaches 92C. I don't think undervolting will help enough to bring the temperature below 90C. If undervolting doesn't improve your CPU temperatures, I advice you to contact Acer or try to repaste it by yourself(voids warranty).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx

Good advice Ven. Superman can you post your average as well as max temps after undervolting that will help determine if thermal repaste is the next option.

• superman1201
    So I'm currently still testing, trial and error all that good stuff. I'm doing 5 minute stress tests so far I'm -.125v...lol anyway 120 was 80 high and 56 av from 115 83 high and 72 av. I'm also plugged in charging if that matters. And I do think that is good as advice, however, I'm about to go into school and really don't want to spend time worrying about a trade in especially since the one I get might just do the same. Also, the laptop runs REALLY WELL it's just this one time so far it got pretty hot. It was a mod for the game and I was playing for awhile, and it wasn't boiling hot in my place but it also wasn't cool either.
  • superman1201
    My -.125 was 70 high and 59 av. I'm also exiting after each time for a fresh start on temps to not get confused.
  • superman1201

Should I leave it at .-125? Also should I do a longer stress test than 5 minutes?

• Flx

Yea you can leave it at that, some chips can go up to -0.150 but that varies by each laptop. Seems like it's helping pretty well though. 5 mins is a little short I'd test it longer in a game.

• superman1201

Okay I'll do that and raise it if I have to, thanks so much for all your help!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    10-15 minutes is enough, depending on the room temperature and how cold the chassis are before starting. After these 10minutes(at least for me) the laptop has reached max temperatures and it just doesn't get any hotter.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• superman1201
    Alright that's what I'll do then, I figured 5 was too short. Thanks for the advice!
  • Flx

Glad it worked out for you Smiley Happy Enjoy!

• HarpoMarx
    HarpoMarx Member Posts: 4 New User
    Under volting or disabling turbo-boost are the options to lover the temps, still as I have bought this laptop only 2 weeks ago experiencing such behavior is a blow to ACER as a brand and me personally as a consumer, the fact is that Helios 300 Predator PH317-51 is a 17 inch laptop and all other manufacturers are able to cool their products 10-15 degrees lower then ACER is a clear sign that cooling solution is poorly designed, as it is a good performer for a price I'm willing to buy proper cooler and install it my self the only issue is that one is nowhere to be bought. As many people are buying this laptop for gaming purposes and it is not possible to play 3A games on it because of TT(thermal throttling) I would not be surprised if customer complain or return the product.
    I guess it is on ACER to solve this problem and I hope they will listen to their customer complaints.
  • Abhishek18521
    Abhishek18521 Member Posts: 1 New User
    i think my product is defective sometimes it goes to 10-12 fps from 90 fps in dota 2 is it becoz of the windows creators update?