Predator Helios 300 G3-571 randomly crashing on battery power

alanianm
alanianm Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi all,

Have a new Helios Predator G3-571 that is randomly crashing whilst on battery power, even when the battery is nearly full, i.e. 70%+, with just light use such as web browsing. This issue does not occur whilst plugged in, only when on battery power.

The BIOS has been updated to the latest one: 1.08, as well as the VGA updated via the Nvidea website latest driver.

Could this be caused by an update? Or would this be a hardware issue?

I have already tried the reset of the battery via the 5 second holding of the pin in the battery pinhole on the back of the laptop, as well as reseting the BIOS setting to default - both suggested by the Acer chat help-line.

I really don't want to have to send this back for repairs...

Best Answer

• alanianm

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Thanks for the reply IronFly.

However the Acer help chat suggested a 3rd opton to try: the operator suggested that I open the back of the laptop  up and disconnect the main battery for 10+ minutes. I specifically asked them whether this would void my warranty, which they said it wouldn't as long as I did not damage anything... :/

I successfully did this, with a fair bit of trepidation, and whilst I had the battery disconnected I also did the battery reset via the button where the pin hole would have been. Don't know if that affected it at all, however I have now gone through 2 full battery recharge power ups to 100% and then discharging via battery mode to low battery -10% without a sudden crash at this time (*touch wood* Smiley Happy)

Answers

• alanianm

Tinkerer

Ps Here is the Critical Error event via Event Viewer for the last random crash:

- <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
      <EventID>41</EventID>
      <Version>4</Version>
      <Level>1</Level>
      <Task>63</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-07-25T19:33:31.275777700Z" />
      <EventRecordID>3298</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>LAPTOP-Q31R9P8M</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
      <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
      <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
      <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
      <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
      <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have you tried to analize minidumps? (if it BSOD)

download this tool, whocrashed:
    http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

before running it, browse to C:\windows\minidump
    delete all files apart the first 2-3 files (newest)
    then install whocrashed and run it
    click on Analyze
    report here the result.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • alanianm

Tinkerer

Thnks for the reply.

It's not a BSOD, the laptop just go instantly off with no warning. No lights on/flashing, nothing. 

• alanianm

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Thanks for the reply IronFly.

However the Acer help chat suggested a 3rd opton to try: the operator suggested that I open the back of the laptop  up and disconnect the main battery for 10+ minutes. I specifically asked them whether this would void my warranty, which they said it wouldn't as long as I did not damage anything... :/

I successfully did this, with a fair bit of trepidation, and whilst I had the battery disconnected I also did the battery reset via the button where the pin hole would have been. Don't know if that affected it at all, however I have now gone through 2 full battery recharge power ups to 100% and then discharging via battery mode to low battery -10% without a sudden crash at this time (*touch wood* Smiley Happy)

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Good!

keep it monitored.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • user77
    user77 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Not to hijack your thread.. but just to report my issue in case there is a pattern of errors with this laptop / batch.

My Pred 300 is 2 days old. I got a BSOD while afk, doing nothing. It was related to "memory management."

A day earlier (first day I got it), I updated BIOS to the latest one: 1.08, as well as the VGA updated via the Nvidea website latest driver. (We both did this. I used that driver program DDS or something, to correctly uninstall drivers and restart, then reinstall).

The next day (today), I had the 300 running for hours. Then I got the error. Only a browser was running. But I had the page on for a while. And it's not too hot.

After the error, I did the windows memory test. Win mem test rebooted in safe mode and reported no errors.

I got a dump checker program (WhoCrashed). It said:

"This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A6F0)

Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41201, 0xFFFFB2800001AC78, 0x1000000003, 0xFFFF8B89CC99E980)

Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe"

So not sure if related to your prob. But I'm documenting just in case.

I read that 2 other people were having this BSOD. Acer told one guy to return the laptop. I hate doing that.

I saw a youtube vid where alienware just sent the guy new ram.

But my issue doesnt report as bad ram during the checks - yet BSOD said memory error??? So idk what it is.

PS my prob still might be related to yours, since the way it crashed was unknown. When I came back to the 300, it was off.

I thought it was in sleep mode. I pressed a key and it turned on (or was already restarting?). Then it showed me the BSOD.

• alanianm

Tinkerer

The more info the better Smiley Happy

I haven't so far received a BSOD yet. Everytime my 300 switched off it was sudden and without warning, however it would then restart fine via the power button.

I am monitoring my PC and will be running it ragged whilst in battery mode to make sure that the issue does not reoccur whilst in my early warranty days.

• shaurakar
    shaurakar Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi Alan,

I am facing the sam issue, suddenly from today. I have no clue what to do. It is the same issue. At 93% battery level, I am having the same issue of abrput shutdown. What shoulod I do?  

• alanianm

Tinkerer

Hi shauraker,

As I mentioned in the above reply #6:

"However the Acer help chat suggested a 3rd opton to try: the operator suggested that I open the back of the laptop  up and disconnect the main battery for 10+ minutes. I specifically asked them whether this would void my warranty, which they said it wouldn't as long as I did not damage anything... :/

I successfully did this, with a fair bit of trepidation, and whilst I had the battery disconnected I also did the battery reset via the button where the pin hole would have been."

Hope this helps.

• shaurakar
    shaurakar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the quick reply. I was facing the issue yesterday, and found that a new bios update has been launched. I updated it and some drivers, which was mentioned in the post by somebody. I haven't experienced till now any problem. I was running for hours using battery. My understanding is that the battery must have become too hot and as a result this was happening. I was running visual studio and matlab and hdmi display with battery. Technically this should not happen, but I speculate the battery temperature might have caused the issue. In your case was there any heavy resource app running prior to abnormal shut down? Thanks
  • alanianm

Tinkerer

No, at the times (it happened several times) it crashed I wasn't gaming or using any resource heavy programs. I think I may have had a folder or two open and a web page up. I too also checked to make sure my drivers were all updated, including updating to the 1.09 BIOS.

Happy to hear you seem to have resolved your issue, and thanks for sharing extra info that may help others with similar issues Smiley Happy

• RohithCIS
    RohithCIS Member Posts: 1 New User

I had the same Problem. My Predator shutdown Randomly, no matter how much battery power was left. I tried pressing the battery reset, didn't work. I couldn't open my back case, as it would have broken a seal and voided my warranty and my laptop was just days old. After much hassle, updating BIOS and reading through a lot of Forums and threads, I figured I'll keep my battery reset pressed on for a minute or two and release it.

That's what worked.

I kept the Battery Reset button pressed for a full 120 Seconds. Rebooted, haven't had the problem since.

• alanianm

Tinkerer

Thanks for the info on how you resolved your issue, RohithCIS. Hopefully it can help other people out there who may have the same problem.

• predatorlover
    predatorlover Member Posts: 1 New User
    RohithCIS said:

I had the same Problem. My Predator shutdown Randomly, no matter how much battery power was left. I tried pressing the battery reset, didn't work. I couldn't open my back case, as it would have broken a seal and voided my warranty and my laptop was just days old. After much hassle, updating BIOS and reading through a lot of Forums and threads, I figured I'll keep my battery reset pressed on for a minute or two and release it.

That's what worked.

I kept the Battery Reset button pressed for a full 120 Seconds. Rebooted, haven't had the problem since.

I did face the same issue... held the battery reset button for 120 secs and finally its been almost 30 mins .. no abrupt shutdown.. before, just with normal usage on battery power my predator used to shut down abruptly.. but its working fine as of now... 
  • Connorjk22
    Connorjk22 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Did this resolution work long term??? I just started having this problem, but I just got this laptop less than 2 weeks ago and I don't want to deal with a return and download all my programs for school again. HELPP>
  • Aj_97
    Aj_97 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Facing the same issue just after I purchased it.. tried resetting the battery by placing the clip in the battery hole for about 10-15 second.. still the issue not resolved..HELP
  • Aj_97
    Aj_97 Member Posts: 4 New User
    RohithCIS said:

That's what worked.

I am facing the same issue.. and wanted to try the solution provided by you... Can anyone here tell when I have to press the battery reset button.. either when the laptop is or when it is turned off.

• akki998
    akki998 Member Posts: 4 New User
    RohithCIS said:

That's what worked.

Hey bro..is ur issue resolved or are u still facing it?i tried holding it for 120 secs as u said...worked fine for 2=3 days and then it started occuring again.
  • alanianm

Tinkerer

akki998 said:
    RohithCIS said:

That's what worked.

Hey bro..is ur issue resolved or are u still facing it?i tried holding it for 120 secs as u said...worked fine for 2=3 days and then it started occuring again.
    I have not had the issue occur again since I did the battery resets.