Predator G9 SSD Install Trouble

Hysler
Hysler Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hey guys, feeling really stupid right now and could use some help.

I'm was throwing an old ssd from my previous laptop into my new Predator and the little black cable that connects to the motherboard got disconnected. I can't seem to get it back in its place, so I have to be doing something wrong.

Here's a picture in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

IMG_0221.JPG

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

that's because you ripped off the HDD motherboard connector.

that kind of damages can only be repaired by Acer service center (probably the whole motherboard) or someone with the correct soldering machine and good skills...but i saw some traces ripped too, so it will be a very hard repair.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• Hysler

Yeah, the end popped off when I was removing the HDD from its bay. I've tried seating it back into its spot with the two nubs on the bottom, but it won't stay seated even when it's in the proper position.

IMG_0225.JPG

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

that's because you ripped off the HDD motherboard connector.

that kind of damages can only be repaired by Acer service center (probably the whole motherboard) or someone with the correct soldering machine and good skills...but i saw some traces ripped too, so it will be a very hard repair.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Hysler

I had a feeling it was something like that, but I have to say that I applied almost no force when lifting the hdd to access the connector. The thing came off as if it wasn't soldered to begin with. Anyway, I'd rather not go through the whole rma process so I'll just leave it as is.

Thanks for the help guys.