Predator G9-593 Heat Issue

Nismoair
Nismoair Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi

As most seem to be experiencing with these Predator laptops, I am suffering heat issues with games causing the CPU to repeatedly hit 98oC and consistently stay within high 80's.

I am just about to start the process of returning the laptop to acer to resolve this. Has anyone had success in resolving the heat issues by returning to Acer? I know some have applied high grade thermal paste themselves but not comfortable doing that myself if Acer can resolve.

Thanks

Answers

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Couple of things you can do, if your fans/cooling system is really dusty you can try blowing it out with compressed air. You can also try undervolting your CPU that has worked well for me.

• Nismoair

Tinkerer

Thanks. Dust shouldn't be an issue as laptop is only just over 1 month old.

What is the suggested voltage for cpu? And (classic question) does it impact performance?

I might still go ahead with the "repair" in the hope they will re-paste, and then apply the voltage change.

Thanks
  • Flx

Nismoair wrote:
    Thanks. Dust shouldn't be an issue as laptop is only just over 1 month old.

What is the suggested voltage for cpu? And (classic question) does it impact performance?

I might still go ahead with the "repair" in the hope they will re-paste, and then apply the voltage change.

Thanks

I knocked my voltage down -0.100 at first, was very stable and after a week or two I knocked it down to -0.120. So I would start with -0.100 and see if your system is stable. The only bad thing that can happen is your laptop will crash and once you restart it will be back to normal so don't worry about hurting anything (mine never crashed after doing it just giving a heads up of what can happen). If it does crash just bring the undervolt down a little and try again, since all chips are different some might react differently. And no performance is not affected one bit no worries there.

If I were you I would try undervolting first it only takes a few mins at most to do and test out vs sending out your laptop for an unknown period of time (just from my point of view). I was very surprised at the results. Temps after undervolting haven't gone above 75 while gaming and averages in the 60's when it used to be much higher.

• Nismoair

Tinkerer

Thanks again. Does changing bios settings void warranty?
  • Flx

Changing BIOS settings doesn't void warranty no. I used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility it has worked very well.

• Nismoair

Tinkerer

Ok, got the Intel Tuning Utility installed. Did you change the 'Core Voltage Offset' to get the -0.100v setting? I tried adjusting the 'Core Voltage' setting but this doesn't allow a negative value.

Thanks

• Flx

Correct, 'Core Voltage Offset' is the setting that needs to be adjusted

• Nismoair

Tinkerer

Adjusted to -0.100v and achieved lower temps as follows (as measured through RealTemp):

92oC / 82oC / 88oC / 79oC

Tested on GTA 5 and Just Cause 3 (absolute max settings on everything). Tried to produce as much activity on screen as possible to stress test and above were the max temps. Laptop is raised on a cooler fan stand (frost core is not installed).

92oC still seems uncomfortably high and I guess I could use the frost core but what is your opionion?

Thanks for all your help.

• Flx

Nismoair wrote:

Adjusted to -0.100v and achieved lower temps as follows (as measured through RealTemp):

92oC / 82oC / 88oC / 79oC

Tested on GTA 5 and Just Cause 3 (absolute max settings on everything). Tried to produce as much activity on screen as possible to stress test and above were the max temps. Laptop is raised on a cooler fan stand (frost core is not installed).

92oC still seems uncomfortably high and I guess I could use the frost core but what is your opionion?

Thanks for all your help.

They went down a bit, thats great. What are the average temps? Does it spike to 92 once or twice then stay around 79-80? Or does it tend to hover more around the high 80's. Also how long did you test for.

• Nismoair

Tinkerer

I'm not sure how to get an exact average but flipping back and forth between game and readings, I would estimate it is sitting at high 80's consistently. Ran games for approx 15 mins each.

• Flx

You know what that still sounds a bit high, you could try the frost core but honestly I don't think it will help a ton more. The way I check average is leaving PredatorSense open and then you can scroll back I think an hour and look at the CPU and GPU usage/temps and compare it to the max. Anyway you aren't going to damage your laptop chips running it that hot but it definitely will shorten the life span over time. I would think about getting it repasted at this juncture. Was hoping the undervolting would solve your problem!

• Nismoair

Tinkerer

I just applied the same voltage setting as you (-0.120v) and got 86 / 80 / 84 / 76 from each of the cores.

So, its coming down but still to high maybe Smiley Sad

Tempted to lower the voltage more!

• Flx

Nismoair wrote:

I just applied the same voltage setting as you (-0.120v) and got 86 / 80 / 84 / 76 from each of the cores.

So, its coming down but still to high maybe Smiley Sad

Tempted to lower the voltage more!

Oh thats actually pretty good, much better. You can try dropping it more some of these can handle -0.150 without any issues. Like I said the only bad thing that can happen is your PC will crash and you'll have to undervolt it again. Go for it man!

• Nismoair

Tinkerer

Think I've hit the maximum benefit of undervolting @ 0.150v - seems to peak at 84 and now avg at low 80's. Also noticed that max fan speed is no longer kicking in automatically.

All seems a bit of an odd approach by Acer; why not roll out bios update to lower voltage if there is no loss of performance!?

• Flx

Cool, glad to hear it! Good question, not sure if its Intel or Acer that does it but all chips have different tolerances so I think they are just playing it safe with the stock voltages.

• cxtkrs1
    cxtkrs1 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Did the same to my 793 as it does seem to run warm at times. When I was playing Skyim at 4K on Ultra I could tell the cooling system was working pretty hard. The laptop is about a week old and you could notice that new electronics smell blowing out the exhaust. The difference between what the fans were running at and setting them to wide open didn't sound like much of a step up RPM wise. Ironically the game would not let me minimize even when using a hotkey so I could check PredatorSense to see what was going on. On idle the CPU would always run warmer than the 1070 and never dip below the low 40's. Now it goes as low as 34 degrees which is actually cooler than what the GPU usually runs at with no load. I will be loading up with Skyrim or something else to see if any difference is noticeable when under a heavy load.

• Nismoair

Tinkerer

Yeah, I tried mass effect andromeda today and peaked at 77 degrees. Still no max fan speed kicking in which is good. Also, general Internet browsing seems better as previously the fans would spin up occasionally whilst watching YouTube! Getting circa 30/40 under no gaming.

• Technotica
    Technotica Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi!

I too have a G9-593, I just got it thursday. I had an Asus ROG GL502VS before but that ran far too hot for my taste. So I hoped that the Acer would run a lot better. Unfortunately I just played BeamNG a bit and Core 0 seems to have overheated, it peaked at 97°C and Core Temp shows an exclamation mark next to it (which according to google denotes overheating).

So, I am wondering, is undervolting the offcicial fix for this? Or should I contact support and have it checked out?

Thanks!

• Flx

Technotica wrote:

Hi!

I too have a G9-593, I just got it thursday. I had an Asus ROG GL502VS before but that ran far too hot for my taste. So I hoped that the Acer would run a lot better. Unfortunately I just played BeamNG a bit and Core 0 seems to have overheated, it peaked at 97°C and Core Temp shows an exclamation mark next to it (which according to google denotes overheating).

So, I am wondering, is undervolting the offcicial fix for this? Or should I contact support and have it checked out?

Thanks!

I would try undervolting, it is quick and easy to do and should help immensely with cooling. All chips are different so your mileage will vary but so far it seems to work for everyone that tries. There are no hits to performance or anything. After I undervolted my temps barely spike to 75 and usually stay mid 60's on the CPU (even after hours of heavy gaming). It's worth giving a shot definitely. I used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to drop my voltage -0.120 I would suggest starting at -0.100 and going from there.

• Nismoair

Tinkerer

Just a quick update, mine was set to - 0.150 and it crashed on watch dogs 2. Had absolutely everything maxed in settings and it crashed very early on into the game. Reduced to - 0.140 now and reduced settings (wasn't getting 60fps on all max anyway). Seems OK so far. Temp is 83, according to predator sense.