Predator 17 Laptop G9-793 - NVMe SSD- BIOS UPDATE

Terryalexa301
Terryalexa301 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I've just bought an M.2 NVMe SSD for my predator 17 G9-793 laptop. Can you tell me if this model laptop supports booting from NVMe SSD's, or will I need a BIOS patch? The card is M.2-2280 x4 Lane socket. I know the laptop has this M.2 socket.

Has Acer updated the BIOS to support boot from NVMe SSD's?

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

We suggest you go to Acer website in Drivers and Manual and check for drivers according to the model of your Predator Laptop.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6965?b=1

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

It also depends on the NVME disc you're using. Ususally you plug it in and you choose the device in the Bios Setup. I had when cloning the installation from the Sata SSD to NVME 2 options to boot. From each SSD it was possible.

With the 791 the NVME Samsung 950>Pro is not shown by it's name under UEFI. Only under Legacy. But it works by the way fine.

I think the behaviour is always similar.

Unfortunately nobody usually does a Bios Update for some new SSDs which were released.

I went to my favourite store round the corner with the Predator und plugged it in there to see that it's working. Smiley Happy

• Terryalexa301
    Terryalexa301 Member Posts: 5 New User

I installed the SAMSUNG 960 EVO NVMe M.2 2280 SSD for my predator 17 G9-793 laptop.

I cloned the drive with the old ssd drive and the new NVMe drive installed in the two M.2 slots.

At boot I had a choice of 2 Windows intallations, so I chose the Samsung 960 NVMe.

I installed the Samsung NVMe drivers downloaded with other Samsung software such as Magician and the Firmware update. Then installed the 'AS SSD' benchmark tool and rebooted.

I ran benchmark tests on both ssd's and the Samsung 960 NVMe has a Read speed of 2.4 Gbs, and a Write speed of 1.4 Gbs.

The old ssd whch is standard SATA SSD ran at a Read speed of 520 Mbs and a write speed of 150 Mbs.

So the Samsung NVMe under my current configuration runs at nearly five times the speed of the old SATA SSD, so the Acer predator 17 G9-793 laptop Can Boot from NVMe ssd's and run at PCIe x4 speeds. Even though the five times SATA BUS speed isn't the advertised six to eight times Faster than SATA speeds I expected. Once I tweak around with the settings I'm sure I'll get at least six times faster than SATA. I'm also going to try using the other M.2 slot and run benchmark tests through that other slot.

So Acer must have done an update for booting from NVMe ssd's in the December 2016 BIOS update, or even earlier.

• Daedronus
    Daedronus Member Posts: 78 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I'm itching to try a nvme drive on my g5-793....meybe we got the update also, since we have the same bios updates.