Predator 17 G9-793 hard crashing

Jflip
Jflip Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Just picked up a new Predator 17 and in one day of use it's totally frozen 4 times so far. Only option is to hard reset, just wanted to ask if it's an issue anyone else experienced before going through the returns process.

Thanks

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Update BIOS to latest version, if you haven't already. Download and install latest nvidia driver(from nvidia website). Download HWiNFO and let it record the temperatures while you are gaming. Please post the average and maximum temperatures of the CPU and GPU.

If your temperatures are fine and updating the BIOS and drivers doesn't fix anything, then you better send the laptop back.

Download BIOS 1.12 from here under 'BIOS/Firmware':
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6965?b=1
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Can you describe the issue in more detail? For example this 'freezing', does it just freeze(stop responding) and nothing works including ctrl+alt+del, or it just crashes showing a BSOD?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Jflip
    Your right sorry, so remains on but no blue screen, and totally unresponsive no mouse movement, unable to ctrl+alt+del and if sound is playing it stop on that note and repeat constantly

Does that help? Unsure if it has a proper term

Thanks
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Update BIOS to latest version, if you haven't already. Download and install latest nvidia driver(from nvidia website). Download HWiNFO and let it record the temperatures while you are gaming. Please post the average and maximum temperatures of the CPU and GPU.

If your temperatures are fine and updating the BIOS and drivers doesn't fix anything, then you better send the laptop back.

Download BIOS 1.12 from here under 'BIOS/Firmware':
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6965?b=1
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jflip

Thanks for the help ven, but I think I'll see if they can do an exchange before I start risking having it too long to do an exchange

Its only an hour drive or so, would take me just as long to do collate the data 

But if I have similar issues I'll use this guide and respond 

Thanks again 

• predrag
    predrag Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

the same thing happened to mine.

It's 4 days old, I asked Overclockers UK for the replacement and they forwarded me to the Acer Costumers Service.

They suggested to do reset one more time using Alt + F10 combination at startup.

Now it's stuck at resetting at 6% and HDD lamp isnt blinking so I think this is a bad thing.

What should I do with it?

• Jflip
    Hey predrag,

Advice from ven was really solid, overclockers told me to update the bios or factory reset before they would look at taking it further which was fair enough.

Bios update 1.12 did it for me now 4 days or so with no lock up. Makes sense as it updates intel integration

Give that a try and see how you go
  • predrag
    predrag Member Posts: 4 New User

Thanks Jflip,

But now it stuck in resetting, I'm not sure if I can stop that.

Any advice on that?

Tnx.

EDIT:

I stopped the reset. And started it again, now its going ok. Will se if ts ging to solve the freezing problem, and will update bios.

IMG_20171012_183207_HHT.jpg

• Jflip
    Reset problem is not something I would feel confident on advising - might be best to give Acer a try tomorrow

(which I know is a frustrating answer)

Or try there twitter support (might have different active hours)
  • TLicense
    TLicense Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have just bought a g9-793 and am experiencing exactly the same issue.

Locking up at any random point. All inputs unresponsive, the soundcard repeats whatever note is playing constantly. The only way to get out of it is to do a hard reset. Bios version that was supplied with the laptop is v1.09 from 11/01/17.
    I will update to latest and let you all know if it fixes it...
  • TLicense
    TLicense Member Posts: 2 New User
    OK, so after updating the BIOS and a full days use I've not experienced any locking up whereas before updating the BIOS it would lock-up at least every couple of hours, so it looks like it is the fix!