Predator 17 G9-791 Cores temperature problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mustafa_Elrokh
Mustafa_Elrokh Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello everybody, I have acer predator 17 G9-735A-791 Laptop, which has an intel 6700 hq, and i have a major problem while testing my temperatures using HWmonitor, i noticed that Core#1 is always at higher temperatures than the rest of the cores, with a big temperature difference (sometimes more than 14 C difference), some ppl advised me to repaste the thermal compound , and i did it, and my temperatures went down but the difference still occurs, before repasting , i was getting up to 92 - 95 C on cpu temperature because of that core which sometimes reaches 20 C hotter than the others. After repasting, i get now 78 C as maximum and core#1 reaches 14 C hotter than the others. Note that: i changed the thermal compound like 3 - 4 times (each times was trying to be more accurate since i heared that this problem occurs when u get uneven stress or force between the heatsink and the cpu) and i get the exact same results everytime (14 C difference) with Maximum 78 C temperature on CPU Please help me fix this issue, sorry for my bad english, Thank You,

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    79C on 32C room temperature? You just can't want more than this from this laptop. The CPU's max temperature by default is 97C and it starts throttling/losing performance at 91C-92C and the actual temperature limit, which is dangerous for the CPU is about 105-110C(don't remember the actual value). My CPU runs at about 83C average in a room temperature of 25-30C and haven't noticed any loss of performance at all.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I wouldn't worry about it too much...the 0 core will usually be the hottest as it is running all single core applications and manufacturing differences can cause these type of variations.  The cores are all on the same die so I doubt it has anything to do with the heatsink seating correctly.

• Mustafa_Elrokh
    Even the difference is more than 14 c sometimes?
    And itsnot core 0
    Its core 1
  • AVJim

Well it depends on who you believe...I think this is some kind of an artifact of the i76700q and some other processors out there...There are some out there that say it can be remedied by using more thermal paste ...blah blah...I don't know that might be worth a try but I would not worry about it...I would look at the temp of the overall die and worry about that.

Use the Intel Extreme Tuning utility to make sure that you aren't getting any thermal throttling...if you aren't don't worry about it.  Just my opinion. 

• Mustafa_Elrokh
    I used xtu and undervolted my cpu by - 0.130 v
    Max temperature now is 74 c (because of that core of course)
    Overall temperature is good for me..
    I think i won't do any changes for now
    Thanks so much
  • AVJim

Yes that is perfect and I am doing the same thing on my Predator.  Enjoy and have a nice day.

• Mustafa_Elrokh
    Hello
    I've just noticed that cpu 2 is always at higher utilization than other cpus
    Please check the image
    https://ibb.co/erLDbk
    Also i can't recognize which app or task that causes it.
    At process tab i find only normal tasks with normal cpu usage (each task is lower than 1% usage) at idle.
  • ven98

There are some apllications that use only 1 core or 2 cores, as well as there are applications that use all 4 cores. The things you see as CPU0-CPU7 are called 'logical cores'. This is a feature called hiperthreading, which makes a 4 core processor work like an 8 core or 1 core can take 2 threads instead of 1. Some applications need 2 threads and these 2 threads are taken by 1 Core, in your case the most demanding application has been taken by Core 1/CPU 2 and CPU3, but most likely uses a single thread, that is why CPU2 has higher usage.

Note that: Core 0 is CPU 0 and 1, Core 1 is CPU 2 and 3, Core 2 is CPU 4 and 5 and Core 3 is CPU6 and 7.

Here is what it looks like on my laptop, while I have the browser opened plus some background apllications. In my case Core 3 Thread 1 is used mostly(it would be CPU 7 if it was with your application). NOTE: Look at the average values.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

I got an V3-771G which has i7-3XXXHQ, which has had vor more than 5 years such temperatures.

Core1 does single Core ops like the others already elxplained.

I have got the 791, too and it will reach 2 years with almost 98 degrees on max performance under special tools.

Maybe if warranty is over and it's too boring here I will repaste the prozzi, but I think better not.

• Mustafa_Elrokh
    Thanks for your replay.
    So i got it, but is there any solution to fix that or make the cores usage even?!
    Because every time i startup my laptop. It has a very normal temperatures and the difference between cores are normal also, but this stands for like 5 - 10 mins then it starts to do that forever till u shut down the system and its really annoying to get 15 degrees or more in a difference of temperatures..
    Cuz when u see temperatures like this
    68 - 77 - 64 - 62
    And the package temperature was like 77 or 78
    U feel like???
    If i can fix that issue with the second core and make it's temperature normal. I will get much better package temperature like 68 or 69 degrees.
    Sry for my bad english.
  • ven98
    You can never spread the load even on all cores. Even if you run a game that uses all 4 cores, there will be 1 or 2 cores on which the temperature will be higher, as there are background applications which are running on them. 77 degrees is a fine temperature. Is it your average temperature or your max temperature. If 77C is the maximum you get then it is even better than perfect.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Mustafa_Elrokh
    My maximum temperature is 79 degrees in a room temperature 32 degrees.
    But reaching that isn't affecting the performance?
    Cuz while gaming i feel that i get lower fps when i reach my maximum temp.
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    79C on 32C room temperature? You just can't want more than this from this laptop. The CPU's max temperature by default is 97C and it starts throttling/losing performance at 91C-92C and the actual temperature limit, which is dangerous for the CPU is about 105-110C(don't remember the actual value). My CPU runs at about 83C average in a room temperature of 25-30C and haven't noticed any loss of performance at all.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Mustafa_Elrokh
    Well i'll just ignore that, untill i notice any effects on performance, and if there is no performance drop or something like that, then i'll deal with it as i dont have a problem..
    Thanks so much for your help..