Predator 17 - G5-793. Rear/lid of laptop does not light up (Logo & two red strips)

ITNetGeek
ITNetGeek Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi All,

I have just purchased a new Predator G5-793 (GTX-1060, Intel i7) and it arrived yesterday.  All appears to be working fine, however, after watching a couple of videos on UTube for my model, it shows that the logo and two red strips, located left and right on the lid/top of the laptop, before opening to see the keyboard, should light up and it does not appear to.  I have looked in the Predator Sense and that only does the the keyboard zones.

I have read through various messages on here and searched the web for an answer, but I seem to keep hitting walls, can someone help me with this please?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Best Answer

• peoecp
    peoecp Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

As far as I know, the G5-793 does not have any lights in the logo or the red stripes. The G5-793 is missing some of the features of its big brother G9-793.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    The logo and the stripes should light up. So what are you saying is that they don't light up at all? What you can try is just press fn+f9 to switch off the illumination of the keyboard as the illumination of stripes at the back also switches off with the keyboard. Then press fn+f9 again to switch the illumination on again and see if they will light up. If they don't as it is a brand new unit contact your retailer and ask for a replacement.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ITNetGeek

Hi Ven98

Thank you for your prompt reply, I have tried your suggestion, however, this did not work.  I have contacted the company I have purchased the Predator 17 G5-793-77A2 laptop from and I will update here with a solution once completed.  Thank you for your help Smiley Happy.

• ven98
    Hope they will send you a new device.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• peoecp
    Answer ✓

As far as I know, the G5-793 does not have any lights in the logo or the red stripes. The G5-793 is missing some of the features of its big brother G9-793.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

peoecp wrote:

Correct!

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ven98
    This is quite a big let down.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ITNetGeek

Hi Peoecp

I have telephoned and spoken to Acer customer/technical support and they agree that it should be working and they are sending me a new replacement, which I am receiving tomorrow.

Are you certain of this?  I will give Acer another call and chat about this further if this is the case, I may cancel my order and go for the G9.  Although this is an amazing laptop, I would expect to see this.

I will keep you updated and thank you all for your assistance Smiley Happy  

• peoecp

I have a G5-793 and it is definitely missing the logo-light, stripes-light, lights around the mousepad, subwoofer, frostcore and rgb-keyboard. The G5-793 is a cost/feature-reduced version of G9-793. That's why it is cheaper.

• ITNetGeek

Hi Peoecp

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I have just got off the phone to Acer and I spoke to one of the senior technical support and she/he confirmed that the laptop definitely has lighting on the logo and two strips.

No lighting on the mouse pad, no subwoofer, no frost-core and no RGB-keyboard.

I will keep you updated when I get the replacement new Predator 17 laptop tomorrow.

Once again, thanks for all your help Smiley Happy

• IronFly

that's strange, since is one of the know missing "feature", i suspect that your model can be a regional version with logo lights.

let us know, that's part of Acer's strange world.

• ITNetGeek

Hi Ironfly

Thank you for your message.  I will let you know.

• ITNetGeek

Hi Ironfly

It appears that the two strips and the logo do not light up on the laptop, I have been misinformed by Acer.  Because of this, I have decided to cancel the order and look at getting the G9 Predator 17.

• ITNetGeek

Hi Peoecp

Just thought I would you know, I have received the replacement laptop and It appears that the two strips and the logo do not light up on the laptop, I have been misinformed by Acer.  Because of this, I have decided to cancel the order and look at getting the G9 Predator 17.

Thank you to all for your prompt support.

• ITNetGeek

Hi Peoecp

Just thought I would let you know that I have received the replacement laptop and It appears that the two strips and the logo do not light up on the laptop, I have been misinformed by Acer.  Because of this, I have decided to cancel the order and look at getting the G9 Predator 17.

Thank you to you all for your prompt support.

• ITNetGeek

Hi Peoecp

Just thought I would let you know that I have received the replacement laptop and It appears that the two strips and the logo do not light up on the laptop, I have been misinformed by Acer.  Because of this, I have decided to cancel the order and look at getting the G9 Predator 17.

Thanks to you all for your prompt support.

• IronFly

So we were right...wew Smiley Very Happy