Predator 15 G9-591

WinterGale
WinterGale Member Posts: 24 Networker
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi everyone, the problem started when I started watching a Youtube video. All of a sudden my laptop "turned off". I added quotations because the screen was blank and the keyboard backlights were all off and the laptop was unresponsive but macro keys "1", "2", and "4" had their lights all turned on. I forced reboot my laptop by holding the power button for a couple of seconds until the laptop restarted.

Now the problem is that my CPU is stuck at 800MHz and CPU temp is always at 0 degrees Celsius but fan speeds for are always at 3900+ RPMs. Should I be worried? Is there a solution for this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

CPU.jpg

Best Answer

• WinterGale
    Answer ✓

Just an update on this problem, in case anyone is wondering if I found a solution:

I contacted Acer support and gave them my laptop. After explaining my situation to the available technician the working theory was that my laptop overheated (hence why the sudden shutdown and thermal throttling). They then opened the laptop but found no signs of overheating. To make the long story short, they found out that it was a driver problem and was remedied by updating the Thermal Control (or was it Themal Management, I forgot that part, jeez) drivers and that fixed the problem.

They did not bill as it was just a software problem.

(I was also "forced" to watch Emma Watson's The Circle because I found myself bored at the mall while waiting for my laptop to be fixed...so there's that).

Answers

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
    what happens to the fan speed if you press Macro Key 3? You can verify the processor speed via windows task manager. There you can see if the speed which is displayed from Predator Sense is correct. If yes I would go to Bios and load factory defaults. Be sure to take a look at all settings before and adjust them to the same values as the have been set before or ask someone who has already some knowledge.
  • beststevie
    if nothing helps I would call Acer support
  • WinterGale

I pressed Macro key 3 and the fan speed did not change - it was still at 3900+ RPM (I get the feeling that it's already at its max speed). Task Manager also confirmed PredatorSense's findings, my CPU is stuck at 800MHz. As for the BIOS, how do I load factory defaults?

• beststevie
    sound not really like it will change anything to reset Bios. Please call Acer support first. If it gets worse after resetting they just can tell you to send it back.
  • WinterGale

Additional bit of information:

I did a bit of research and found out that I'm experiencing Thermal Throttling. Why this is the case is beyond me. I managed to find a temporary fix by using ThermalStop and turning BD PROCHOT off. But the fans still spins at max power and I would really love to find a solution to this problem that doesn't involve a third party software. 

• WinterGale
    Answer ✓

Just an update on this problem, in case anyone is wondering if I found a solution:

I contacted Acer support and gave them my laptop. After explaining my situation to the available technician the working theory was that my laptop overheated (hence why the sudden shutdown and thermal throttling). They then opened the laptop but found no signs of overheating. To make the long story short, they found out that it was a driver problem and was remedied by updating the Thermal Control (or was it Themal Management, I forgot that part, jeez) drivers and that fixed the problem.

They did not bill as it was just a software problem.

(I was also "forced" to watch Emma Watson's The Circle because I found myself bored at the mall while waiting for my laptop to be fixed...so there's that).

• RolandAus
    RolandAus Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi there - thanks for the thread. I have the exact same problem (on a Predator G9-792 that is) and it took me forever to understdand. I can't find any drivers related to thermal handling though. Do you maybe have a link or can tell me which drivers specifically were replaced? 

• WinterGale

Hey there, I didn't actually catch what the technician said that allowed them to fix the problem only that they updated the BIOS with something called thermal controller or whatnot. You can try using ThermalStop and turning BD PROCHOT off as a short term solution but I would recommend you to send your laptop to an Acer technician. They don't charge anything and it only takes an hour or two fix the problem.

Sorry if I can't be of more help.

• RolandAus

Hi WinterGale - no problem. Thanks for letting me know!

• svchost
    svchost Member Posts: 21 New User

I had the exact issue and i resetted my battery. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSENAnECktw

It solved CPU Tempeature, fans, CPU mhz. 

• RolandAus

Thanks for that - hopefully it helps others when they experience this issue. I ended up sending for repairs and it was fixed by replacing a fan according to the tech support.